Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do I need?

Old 02-01-2004, 10:56 AM

Default What do I need?

I will be going hunting for deer in October-January with my bow. The bow season is off and on during those months. I need help figuring out which calls, scents, lures to purchase during those times. So far all I have is cover scent and a scrape kit. Thanks

P.S. I believe the rut starts in late Jan. I'm in southern Mississippi.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:33 PM

Default RE: What do I need?

i have this one call, it is a mature buck grunt, a young buck grunt and doe grunt and bleat as well as a fawn grunt and bleat all in one it works good. I also use acorn scent it covers your scent and it is like an atracting scent
Old 02-01-2004, 01:50 PM

Well I have dirt cover scent. I bought that because there is some freshly turned dirt by my stand. I passed up the acorn scent because I don't have any acorns where I hunt.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

but if a deer smells acorns, he may come over and investigate. the main idea on a bucks mind (in no particular order) sex, food, survival. they change order throughout the year, but food is in there. anything that smells like food will work. i put out a persimmon block in our backyard. now there are NO persimmon trees around these parts, but the deer love it.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:58 AM

get some scent killer, a cover scent, lures work too . there are may varieties of each. I have a lohman's and a true talker. my lohman's is like deerslayers. it's an all in one. it work's good too. allow's you to use diiferent calls and not have to carry 10 calls w/ you. as far as scents, I use tink's 69 and code blue. but the are many brands out there and all work for there purpose. it's hard to buy any junk now in today's market. the standards are up!! good luck!!
Old 02-21-2004, 09:11 AM

well during the rut i like to use rattling horns, i alos have a primos rubberneck deer call it has every call you need right in it, i also like tinks number 69 doe in rut buck lure