Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

skull mounts

Old 01-26-2004, 12:56 PM

Default skull mounts

the last couple seasons i have found a nice 10pt and nice 9 pt that were dead, shot by bowhunters (at least one was a result of out of state pay hunters) unfortunately i didnt come across either one of them until well after decomposition had started (the 9 pt ws nicely cleaned by coyotes) otherwise i would have had them mounted. anyway i asked the taxidermist who i usually take heads to how i could get the skull nice and white for a clean skull mount, he told me to bury the head up to the base of the antlers and let the worms clean out the rest and sd it would leave the skull nice and white. well the worms took care of all the tissue but the skull has a yellow look to it.

does anyone out there have a method to get the skull nice and white?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:37 PM

Default RE: skull mounts

I used the method described in the link below and it worked great.

http://www.southernvisuals.com/LeBou...kull_mount.htm
Old 01-26-2004, 03:01 PM

t roy soak the skull in peroxide for a few days. The higher the concentration of peroxide the faster and better job it will do.........hope this helps
Old 01-26-2004, 03:57 PM

never heard of using peroxide, thanks very much.

i think i'll let one soak for a few days, sounds like might be kinda hard to keep the bases away from a boiling pot of peroxide.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:39 PM

ok, i found this nice 4x4 still invelvet and i want to let i stay like that and the hair on the outside is all gone and the velvet is still intact.But there is still some of the brain tissue stuff on the inside and it smelled pretty bad when i first found it.But it doesnt smell right at the moment because it is like 10 degrees outside.How would i get all that stuff out and get rid of the smell?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:35 PM

if you want a skull mount, simply bury it up to the base of the antlers, in your case you may want to cover the antlers with bags or something to keep varmints from getting at the velvet, then cover the whole thing with a bucket to keep it out of the sun, dig er up in about 6 months and there will be no tissue on the inside or out.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:06 PM

well, there is only some on the inside, and plus if im going to do that im going to have to wait another 3 months until the ground isnt frozen and coverd with snow
Old 01-26-2004, 07:21 PM

I would just soak it in hot water-keeping the antlers out of course-for a couple of days. it should loosen the tissue up and then you just pick it out. and in a couple of days you have your rack!
Old 01-27-2004, 07:55 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done quite a few skull mounts, and here is what I do. I got a bag of Sal-Soda from my taxidermist a while back. I skin the hide off the head, put about 1 cup of the sal-soda in a big pot of boiling water and submerge the skull (leave the antlers above the water). It doesn't take a long time(probably less than an hour) and about 95% if it is cleaned off. You may need to pick some of the stubborn little peices out of the little holes, etc...then resubmerge a while longer. They usually come out nice and white, but if you want it a little whiter, you can soak it in peroxide. I haven't, they've been white enough for me.
*Make sure if you boil any skull, with anything...do it outside!! If you don't....you'll know why. I use my grill.
I don't know if this is the "best" way, but it is very easy, and cleans them up perfectly in a fairly short time. IMO this would work alot better than burying it in the ground, or hanging it outside. Also, I think I paid like $10 for a 5lb bag of sal-soda about 10 years ago. Done quite a few skulls, and still have plenty left. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: skull mounts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.