Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot placement

Old 01-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shot placement

I was checking out a few places on the internet about this topic and they all speak of the broadside shot, the quatering away shot, the quartering towards shot, and head on shot. When speaking of the head on shot, one website I read stated that the head and neck were the only clean shots to take. Stating that to shoot in the center of the chest would also result in a gut shot where the contents of the stomach and intestines could taint the taste of the meat. (It also said that the quartering toward shot could result in this depending on the angle of the bullet).

Does everyone here avoid those shots that could end up as a gut shot? The reason I ask is because this was the only site I read that said this. The others said that for a head on shot, to shoot in the center of the chest was fine and they didn't say anything about hitting the stomach or intestines.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot placement

i have never taken a head on or quartering to shot. i would only take one on a buck worth mounting. i shoot enough deer for me to be happy. facing head on, a shot to the throat patch will drop him. that comment should stir up a controversy on the site. but its the truth. i say wait for the broadside or quartering away.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes you have to take the shot that is given. With that being said I ALWAYS strive to take the shot that is the most humane.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:14 PM

well on my first deer the only shot it gave me was a head on and i shot and dropped it by shooting right at the middle of the chest.didnt do anything to the guts
Old 01-25-2004, 11:39 PM

I have taken 2 head on shots with the rifle. The first one i picked the center of the chest and unloaded with my .308 at around 80 yards. The deer buckled instantly. Now i can't remeber if that hit the gut or not on that deer but the meat was perfectly fine. The second head on shot i picked the white patch on the bucks throat and sent my lead through there at 30 yards. That deer dropped like nobodies business and didn't even twitch a hair. Personally with a rifle i wouldn't avoid a head on shot but if i'm in close i'll take the neck if not i'll take out the brisket and all the goods....
Old 01-25-2004, 11:43 PM

oh one more thing for the quartering toward shot just pick the shoulder that is facing you and take it out. The deer's shoulder will break and the bullet will then catch the vitals. With this angle the bullet should miss the guts if ya shoot out that leading shoulder.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a 22-250 so the only shot I really like to take is facing head on and i put it in the neck. Broke neck bone = no tracking. The little 52 gr HP never exits so the cape is still in good shape if it is a deer I want to mount.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only shots that I take are broadside and quartering shots. I've just never had to take a head-on shot. I just wait for them to turn, and usually they do.
With a good deer caliber head-on shots should be no problem though. I like the big target of a broadside lung shot!
Old 01-27-2004, 04:09 AM

Hi gman1969,

With a "dead headon" shot on deer with any substantial cartridge the bullet will most probably end up passing through the diaphragm and on into the intestines. A good example would be either a .308 Win. or a .30-06 Springfield with any decent 180 grain bullet. Either of those for instance placed at the base of the throat will most likely travel full length through the deer to be recovered in the last "quarter" of the deers body and will sometimes penetrate through and through. This shot will prove quickly fatal.....and as long as the deer is "dressed out" quickly upon recovery the meat will NOT be tainted or affected. Though the dressing job will of course be somewhat more of a "mess". (Good reason for having disposable gloves.) And then "wipe out" the body cavity of any remaining excrement.

On a similar shot at a "slight quartering on angle" by going through the near shoulder the bullet will then pass through the chest cavity and frequently exit somewhere on the off side or flank.....depending on angle. The important thing to remember when taking any angling shot is to drive the bullet through the heart lung region....regardless of angle. So sometimes you might be required to aim for the near shoulder....sometimes the off shoulder....sometimes (as in head on)...neither shoulder. Quartering or full length body shots should be avoided with either "light for caliber bullets" of convential construction.....or cartridges that are barely adequate to insure penetration through the extra resistance of heavy shoulder and/or bone. Usually on game the size of deer any "decent" combination of cartridge and bullet provides more than adequate penetration!

I have taken probably close to half a dozen or better medium game animals with either a "full on frontal" or nearly "full on frontal" shot. And without exception they have all been extremely rapidly fatal.

That angle would be a terrible presentation for an archer....who should be trying to "double lung".....but because of the "mechanics of high power rifle bullets" on living tissue...it is extremely lethal as long as the cartridge and bullet are up to the job of penetrating...while transmitting shock!

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2004, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

You have a link to the site that say's to take head and necks only? I'd like to read that.

Quick Reply: Shot placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.