Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PETA envy?

Old 01-25-2004, 01:22 PM

Default PETA envy?

I was reading a previous post that contained a video of a dude kicking a hog under his feeder and was surprised at some of the comments. In fact I got blasted for a remark about shooting a sow and some piglets. It got me to thinking that some folks just got PETA on the brain. To the point that we have to be afraid to post hunting stories? Or giving an opinion on a post? To those folks I feel sorry cause they've already got you running scared. The good all be it misguided folks at PETA have every right to their opinion and I don't feel that we are in anyway giving them ammo to their position by having an open forum or debate about such topics. I do however think that it is sad that some folks feel so paranoid that they have to censure other folks remarks to spread there own neurotic behavior to the board. It's no newsflash that other groups (PETA, antis) want hunting abolished but let's not hide our heads and act like we have something to be ashamed of or are afraid. Instead I say bring it! Let's talk or debate the issues. By the way about dropping a sow and then cleaning up a few piglets. I guess the ethical thing would be to let them starve after the sow was on the way to the processor? Come on guys think!
Old 01-25-2004, 01:26 PM

Default RE: PETA envy?

i have storys that i will not post b/c i dont know who i am talking to, and if we talk face to face then i will tell you them all, but not on the net, and yes that is to bad i wish i could trust every one here
Old 01-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know what, I do envy PETA people, they always say ignorance is bliss, and they've got to be the most ignorant bunch I've ever come into contact with!!

I do agree, however, that there are some things better left unsaid on this board, there are a lot of people that troll these boards that have large problems believing that their excrement smells no better than yours or mine. There are a goodly number of folks around here that rush to preach what they may not practice, either as point of fact of their true nature or just to call trump on their own psuedo-superiority. Pay attention, most of these folks give themselves away often, especially when claiming to load only one bullet on a hunting trip.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:02 PM

Good point!

Some folks will justify a foul gut shot for misc. reasons,but,when some agrivated hunter simply kicks a hog in the ass to get rid of it inorder to get some QUALITY deer hunting time they are a menice and a poor example of a hunter, whom is not humane.

Again... GOOD POINT.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gary,
As you know I was the one who "blasted" you on the previous thread for saying "...then I picked off the litter of piglets one by one...etc". What you need to understand is that I did not "blast" what you did. It's legal, and you did nothing wrong in doing it. We may not agree with each other on what we do and that is fine. Everyone on here has done one thing or another that someone else does not agree with including me. The point I was trying to make is that some things are better left unsaid on here. You have to realize that there are a large majority of the population who are on the fence about wether or not hunting is good or bad and we must do everything we can as hunters to show them how beneficial and humane hunting is. If peta searches these online forums (which they do) and gets enough stories and videos to use against hunters then we too are supporting them. It's bad enough we have to deal with these a$$holes let alone give them material. And yes I know, this one little video and quote are not enough to bring the hunting world to it's knees but if everyone thought that way then they would all add up to one big blow against hunting in general. If we don't agree on this issue then that is fine, I am just explaining it the way I see it. We are both fellow hunters who just disagree on an issue and if we keep arguing over it then peta and the anti's are already winning.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:37 AM

I have no fear of PETA or anything else trying to abolish hunting. Fact is that it will not happen. However, they are entitled to their opinions just the same as I am. I have no plans of censoring myself just to please the vegitarian masses. Hunting has been around since creation and will continue to remain a part of numerous cultures.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

well deadeye.... in NJ right now there is a bill trying to get through congress that would outlaw .50 caliber muzzleloaders in NJ for hunting purposes. you need so many votes to just make it a bill. in another state, i just read, they have outlawed trapping. You should be afraid of anti's b/c they have the same legal power as you do. and even though i have witnessed alot of hunters going to the "2nd amendment" defense when confronted, the second amendment simply states that we can keep guns, it does not protect hunting with those guns.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:15 PM

I figured that this thread would draw out some comments which is fine. I didn't object to someone having an opinion on the video or shooting hogs and piglets. What does worry me is the constant paranoid let's all look out for the PETA police attitude that folks use to justify their positions. If you read the thread again I stated "Let he is who is without sin cast the first stone". I didn't mean to offend anyone and was not bragging. Hogs are generally a nuisance to most deer hunters and I think you outta eat what you kill which I strictly practice. The macho bravado that often times is a part of a bunch of fellas in the woods with guns is a part of hunting for better or worse. As hunters I think we should work on being gentlemen and keep trying to use our sport as a means of improving ourselves (ie patience, ethics, firearm safety, education conservation, etc). If you have a problem with what someone else is doing the rationale for disagreement should be based on common hunting practices/ethics and not on what PETA or the antis would think. As for legislation against hunting that is definitely real and should be a unified defense effort with political clout and money (that's how it gets done!) to candidates that understand and support our views. So I am sorry if anyone was offended and I respect other folks perspective and points of view. Now I think I will go find a hog to kick, just kidding!!!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 07:29 PM

To not be concerned about the progress the anti-hunting groups are making is a kin to ignoring the termites that are slowing eating your house. Hunting restrictions as they occur across the country are mostly contributable to the swaying of public opinion, political pressure and lobbying by groups such as PETA ($13m), SPCA ($38m), Animal Legal Defense Fund ($4m), Animal protection Institute ($1.5m), Friends of Animals ($4.7m), Doris Day Animal League ($2.4m), Funds for Animals ($5.9m), Humane Society $51.5m), In Defense of Animals ($3m), Intl. Fund for Animal Welfare ($13.5m). This is only a partial list of U.S. anti-hunting groups - showing their annual budgets in U.S. $$ in brackets.

To be complacent about this risk to our hunting or worse yet to pretend it's not happening will only result in it occurring that much quicker. Look around at what's happening. Here in Ontario we recently lost the spring bear hunt to political pressure applied by the very wealthy SHAD Foundation, a strong anti-hunting group, And in spite of an alarming increase in nuisance bears and a government sponsored study which recommended re-instatement of the hunt, the government recently stated it will not re-instate it but will institute measures to control the bears. What's the big deal about loosing the bear hunt? Not too many people hunt bears. What will their next target be; rabbits? Not too many people hunt rabbits. gg.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what you say. It does no good to try to ***** foot around PETA types cause that's what they want. You're never going to make friends with them. I was a little surprised about the response about that video. Growing up in farm country, it's a little amusing to see people get upset about somebody kicking a hog's ass.

Quick Reply: PETA envy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.