Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scent suits don't work!

Old 01-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default scent suits don't work!

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/...cent_suits.hTM

thought his was interesting,, and it makes "scents" to me!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scent suits don't work!

Unlike a common kitchen sponge, you can’t just leave it on the counter and let it dry out. In order to re-activate activated-carbon, it must undergo a process called Pyrolysis. To fully re-activate saturated activated-carbon, you must heat it to approximately 800 °C or 1,472 °F, in a controlled atmosphere of low oxygen concentration to reduce the possibility of combustion.
So basically these garments are good for one use.[]
Old 01-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet you never see an article like that in a hunting rag
Old 01-18-2004, 12:04 PM

I read a longer version of this article at www.whitetailfanatic.com. It also offers a rebuttle from a VP at Scent lok. In this article there is a reference to Xscent and I was able to find their web site www.xscent.com. This stuff actually has some proven science behind it.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:44 PM

I can't deny any scientific data presented by anyone, because simply put...I don't know any of it. But I'll put it to you this way....I have used the same Scent Blocker suit for atleast two years now(the pores have to be full by now) and granted I try not to make it a point to do so, but.....When a guy just has to fart...he has to fart!!! I can fart with my Scentlok on and I don't smell a thing. Granted my sniffer isn't as good as a deer's or coyote's, but I think that accounts for something. They may be a gimmick, but I will continue to use them as much as I can. I still shower up and wash all my clothes in descenting soap, but for me it's just another piece of my hunting attire. How do you like that scientific study??
Old 01-18-2004, 01:05 PM

There were many interesting replys to the article with this being the most interesting being the one I have copied below. I would like to see some type of public statement from Scent lok rebutting the writers comments. The writer never actually proved they don't work, just gave us his theory on why they shouldn't. The big dispute is whether they can be reactivated. Here's a rebuttal (on the same website) from oneof the scent lok employees.......Certainly no proof if he actually is an employee.

Name: Mike

I can speak firsthand regarding Mr. Corrigan's article on scent eliminating clothing since I am part of the product development team at Scent-Lok that designs and builds these products. Our fabrics have all been through extensive and consistent lab tests AND a significant amount of field tests. Mr. Corrigan has a theory but as a good scientist, should perform testing of his theory before showing his lack of experience in this field. Unfortunately he has not done ANY research yet has made a pretty bold, but unsupported claim. A key point in the article is that in his opinion, activated carbon cannot be reactivated in a household dryer. Unfortunately, we have undeniable proof that enough regeneration occurs so that additional capacity is opened up for adsorbing human odor. We have a team of Phd's who are actively involved in the textile industry and have an enormous amount of data that shows adsorption of human odor time after time, using household dryers to regenerate fabrics. Don't let someone who is uninformed and not willing to review the facts that have been proven time and again, in the lab and in the field. We guarantee satisfaction and know that almost a half million suits are in the field working today. I would think that if this many consumers were "duped" as Mr. Corrigan suggests, there would be a long line of unhappy customers at each and every dealer across the country. But the fact is, every day we get letters and testimonials from all around the world who are experiencing big game animals, downwind in virtually every hunting situation imaginable. I personally have not been busted for over 4 years since wearing Scent-Lok products. I take no extra precautions other than keeping my suit activated and all equipment thoroughly sprayed with scent eliminator spray. You must wear a headcover, since over 30% of your odor comes from the head. Get close and go undetected!
Old 01-18-2004, 02:57 PM

HA I KNEW IT!!!! ...naw j/k I dont know about the suits but i use ummm some kind of scent eliminating spray of some-sort that and walmart has this stuff that smells just like dirt i mean its strong and everything so thats what i used this year and on the days where i didnt use any you could tell a difference.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey whatever. i wear one and will continue to as well. i also will ALWAYS have my cardeer necklace. there is NO proof behind that working, but i wear it none the less b/c i believe it does. you should always believe in what you got.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:26 AM

just another sales gimmick
Old 01-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I am going to need to make up my mind soon as I was planning on buying a one piece carbon outfit to wear underneat my normal hunting "duds"....it sounds like a good discussion on both parts.

Quick Reply: scent suits don't work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.