Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does any one not shoot does ?

Old 01-19-2004, 08:01 AM

Default RE: Does any one not shoot does ?

will kill one in a second, love to shoot them
Old 01-19-2004, 10:33 AM

I don't shoot those cute little things
Old 01-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

The only way i would shoot one is if i didnt shoot a buck all season so ill have some meat in the freezer but i will never shoot one cause say you had a 100 cows shoot 99 of them wats there nothin to make more so no doe shootin for me
Old 01-19-2004, 11:29 AM

Tough to comprehend that one buckmastr. If you don't like to see a healthy deer herd...where most times the better genetics are doing the breeding and the strong will survive, you don't like to see good buck to doe ratio's....then shooting every little buck is your ticket. That 3 1/2 year old doe is too tough to hunt anyway.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need to read up on QDM.

i never shot a doe cause my grandpa taught me how to hunt an he said not to shoot does cause hurts the population so much so i never did

This isn't your grand dad's deer herd. That's not a shot at your grandfather either. Shooting does is not bad for the population. Many area's are way over the carrying capicity. The woods are over browsed and the deer don't get to their full potential. Back in your grandfathers era there were no permits or they were party permits. I remember when I started hunting there would be 4-5 guys on a permit, it allowed you to kill one doe. There were years you didn't see a deer.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:44 PM

as long as their is more does than bucks, and my tag is for any thing i will shoot a doe each time
Old 01-20-2004, 07:04 PM

i dont know if its true , but in n.j. you have to shoot a doe before you get a buck tag.thats what ive heard.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:19 PM

I have never harvested a doe. I used to apply every year and usually drew a tag, but only used one on a button buck (my first deer). After that, when I started hunting on my own I wanted a big buck very badly. I could have easily taken a doe, but I was after more of a challenge and a trophy. Since you can only take one deer per year, I let many does walk holding out for a buck. These days they don't even offer antlerless permits, so unless you're a bow hunter it's bucks only.

If I hunted an area where you could take a doe and still be able to hunt bucks, I'd drop a doe in a heartbeat. They do make excellent eating, and some areas do need to have the does thinned out.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot bucks only. My father was the same as many of the other's dad's on here. When he was much younger, they rarely even saw a deer while hunting and wanted to increase the population.

However, MD regs now require you to shoot 2 does before you can take a 2nd antlered deer. It took some getting used to, but now I'll shoot a big doe anytime before settling for a small buck. Last year, I never saw a buck in range that met my personal standards and ended the season with 3 does. (This season's going much better )
Old 01-21-2004, 08:28 AM

Buckmastr, please look at current data instead of listening to your grandfathers old school mentality. It is good to shoot does in most areas of this country, and if you want to continue shooting some bucks you better start shooting them does when you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Does any one not shoot does ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.