Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Topo's

Old 01-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Topo's

I've seen a lot of posts that recommend getting topo maps for your area being hunted. My question is, where do you get these from and how do you identify your particular area? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Topo's

most country stores or gun shops in your area should carry the topo maps, each sheet has a name on it in the upper right hand corner, this should narrow it down for you. i have a program called maptech, you can order cd's for each state, install them to your puter and print out your own topo maps. there are many places that you can order them online also.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:15 AM

Not the greatest, but try www.topozone.com
Old 01-16-2004, 05:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2004, 06:49 AM

Hi Gobbling Buck,

Here are a few good internet resources:

http://topomaps.usgs.gov/

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/

A good book of map sources worldwide is: The Map Catalog: Every Kind of Map and Chart of Earth and Even Some Above It, 3rd ed. Joel Makower, editor; Vintage Books 1992

And this is not directly related to Topo Maps...but is a good resource for GPS and providing additional resources: GPS Made Easy, 3rd ed. Lawrence Letham, The Mountaineers Books 2001

There are far too many good books available on reading and using maps for me to try to list some. But the sources provided should get you started in the right direction.

Additionally, not only the local "outdoor sporting goods" stores usually carry them.....but many Universities and Government offices, (like County Seats), have maps for that area. Worth an inquiry.

And of course you can always order direct from U.S.G.S.

Hope this information helps!

Dave
Old 01-16-2004, 02:27 PM

I bought the Topo USA software for my 'puter and I make my own! Printer spits 'em out, and it even makes numbered corners so you can piece many maps together for a very large area! Neat![8D]
Old 01-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gobbling Buck, Ifferd offered some great advice, The local foresty service has the, (In my opinion) best maps.

If you're not familiar with topo maps, the first thing you want to do is; have someone explain them to you. Then, go to the chamber of commerce or forestry service in the county that you want maps for. Chances are good that they will have a "master" map on the wall somewhere, It is a very large map that shows all of the "quadrangles" in the series. You can simply pick and choose the individual "quads" or Squares, that you want.

After you have spent a little time reading maps, you can then pick and choose among the many mapping software programs out there and decide what is right for you.

Some of them offer outstanding detail and scale, and chances are that you will find one that suits your needs...BUT...In the interim, find an old fashion paper map and learn the basics, it tends to make the computer generated ones make a lot more sense.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Above advice is good. However, I had some custom maps made this last year before my hunt to a new area. At MyTopo.com you can custom make a map exactly where you will be. You can change it as to location and detail (1: 100,000, 1:24,000, even 1:8000). Then they print it on waterproof, tearproof paper. It was about $15 for the map and shipping. This is more expensive than government maps, but this kind of website is about the only way you can get a custom topo map unless you get a software package. they even put your name on it and fold it in such a way that it slips in a back pocket.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

I live in a smal town in NE Conn. and the Tax office has aerial photos of the entire town and sell detailed copies of areas for a few bucks each. I can see individual trees on mine and plan hunting stratiegy with them.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the info guys. Sorry it took so long to get back, I've been out and about a few days.

Quick Reply: Topo's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.