Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ice Fishing??

Old 01-14-2004, 07:23 PM

Default Ice Fishing??

Hey i just started ice fishing this week. seems pretty cool any one else like to ice fish? got any tips for the beginner?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:00 PM

Default RE: Ice Fishing??

cool stuff. i love ice fishin. been out fishin since begining of december here. What species are ya fishin? My only suggestion to ya is treat it like summer fishing. If you can't find any fish in one area pack up and move just as you would in a boat. Being versatile and finding the fish before they find you really pays off.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:35 AM

P-T-M-H,

I have been ice-fishing for about 18 years. I don't claim to know everything. Actually, I've learned quite a bit over the past two years and I'm looking to expand my knowledge this year too!

I don't know where you're from, but I imagine it's at least cold enough for ice..............

A few important tips......mittens a good hat and loose insulated rubber knee boots! A hand muff is definately nice too. Once your hands or feet get cold, it doesn't matter how many fish you catch or if you're catching any fish at all. All that will be on your mind is going home and getting warm

As for fishing.......I like to sound each hole to check and see how much depth I have. If you know what species the lake/pond holds, then you'll have a basic idea of what depth to find them at.

As for live bait........buy yourself an pump/air stone now and save yourself a lot of money in the long run

Maybe you have some specific questions?

Let me know,

Bn'R
Old 01-15-2004, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

What does this have to do with deer hunting? I think this is a topic for the fishing forums
Old 01-15-2004, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

any tips for the beginner?
Dont' fall through the ice.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:29 AM

nothing to do with hunting i can pick out ba-bye
Old 01-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

All i can say is what everyone else has already said but the most important is to have fun.The only difference is we have a ice shack with a heater so we can stay out all day.Have fun and be safe,make sure theres lots of ice before venturing