HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Pass up deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/49347-pass-up-deer.html)

Shootem up870 01-15-2004 07:56 PM

RE: Pass up deer?

where i hunt we dont pass up any deer unless it is a fawn or a diseased deer, i guess we just dont have the hunting spot to choose deer

JimboHunter1 01-15-2004 08:03 PM

Why would you pass up a diseased deer? Aren't they deer that you'd be better off removing from the herd? What kind of diseases are we talking about?

extreme1 01-15-2004 08:08 PM

this year during bow season i passed up all kinds of does and young bucks,I just figure next year they might be much bigger:D

southernboy90 01-15-2004 09:51 PM

my hunting club has a buck of your choice but has to have at least 4 points on one side and your second buck has to be 15 inches,i am a 18 year old kid that has only killed 3 bucks but i have let plenty of good bucks walk to see if i can keep getting bigger deer,we are not allowed to shoot spikes,i however shoot does when i feel like i need to,it was the day after thanksgiving and i was in my stand,i had my mind made up i was gonna shoot a doe on this foodplot,i look up and there is this spike,then about 15 mins later 3 does show up,i put my gun up and i get one in my hairs and i pass it up,for some reason they kept running off,i knew something was up,so i watched them feed away and aboput 15 mins past and i was like i shgould have shot one but then all of a sudden i see horns,i put my gun up and there is a nice 10 point,and now he is gonna be on my wall,so passing up is a good thing if u want something bigger and better

CLOUD 9, MN 01-15-2004 11:14 PM

We started letting any buck go by that wasn't a true wall hanger. Its was tough at first but now two years later, it was the best thing our group ever did. We went from getting a Trophy once every 6 or 7 years to seeing several and getting 1 or 2 the past tow years. I know from my cams we have 3 trophies left from this past season. We let alot walk........and they grow up! Does are great for meat!

Good Luck!

doughboysigep 01-16-2004 08:19 AM

i have been bow hunting for 5 years and only have taken (1) 4 pt. and only shot one other time (long embarassing story). I have let many deer pass (not as many as many of the people - maybe 5-10 bucks and 30 doe in those years??), but usually not by choice (too far away, running, didn't get my bow up, doe with young, small does/bucks....). I have to admit, if I have my bow on a buck at 20 yards I would shoot 9 time out of 10. I don't need a trophy to validate my hunting. Bow hunting is hard enough. I'd be as happy with a spike as i would a 10 pt. (well maybe a little happier with a 10 pt :)) I also hunt where there is moderate to high pressure and a lot of state land - my feeling is, if I don't get him, someone else will. With all that said, I do enjoy watching the deer when I don't shoot. Hunting is fun (sometimes frustrating) no matter what.

buckmine 01-16-2004 09:00 AM

For two years I have been letting deer pass in certain areas on my dads land. This last year I had 4 smaller bucks around me for a good 40 minutes. As shooting hours were about to pass I had a bigger buck stroll into these younger bucks. My shot missed its mark but fortunealty it was not a fatal miss. I replay thet moment everytime I think about deer hunting.

I would say it does. Bigger bucks get bigger for a reason. They let the does and younger bucks enter areas before they do.....sometimes.

webejonesin2 01-16-2004 09:45 AM

I can't say that ilet many walk, with only one tag for rifle and a freazer thet could use a little help, i found its really hard to let them walk. BUT all in honesty im gonna give it my extreme best and try it this year, never know might just work, if not ~oh well ;), I'll have the tag for the tree:D. does here arnt an option during rifle, but they are fair game during bow season. we'll see.

SnoBall57 01-16-2004 01:08 PM

I don't shoot yearlings anymore and I won't shoot any buck smaller than 17" inside (+or-). I haven't shot a buck in years, and I normally have at least 3 tags a year and only fill one antlerless, which is plenty for the wife and I. I normally have all two weeks of rifle season off and at least part of the late flintlock/archery season, and I'm out there every day that the weather isn't real nasty! I just love being out there with my weapons, and don't need to kill anything to have a great day afield!;)

texanyoungbuck 01-16-2004 10:32 PM

oh ya i pass up deer all the time. i guess its because i was raised well and my grandpa is an excellent rolemodel and example for me. he taught me alot of the stuff that i know about hunting. im only 14 and ive passed up 8's, 10's i think even a 12.