Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do Doe Fawns breed their 1st  year?? >

Do Doe Fawns breed their 1st year??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do Doe Fawns breed their 1st year??

Old 02-08-2002, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do Doe Fawns breed their 1st year??

I always had read that doe fawns from the previous year come into estrous about a month later than the rest of the population, in whats been sometimes referred to as a second rut, or late rut.

Recently, I read two studies, both of which indicated that only a very small population of fawns actually are bred their first year. This surprised me because my own experiences have indicated that a good portion of nursing does in the summer appear to be last year's fawns. The studies were done in the north, (Michigan and NY).

Maybe I didn't read it right - or maybe I'm wrong - I'm curious if your experiences indicate one way or the other. Maybe some of you have experience with captive deer and could give your insight as well.

My question is then, do doe fawns breed in their 1st fall?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do Doe Fawns breed their 1st year??

Some do, but not all. I don`t have any percentages, but doe fawns that drop early(from the first rut, the previous fall)do get bred @ 6 monthes of age.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just the real pretty ones.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:24 PM

40% breed their first year. They have 75% buck fawns, thats why I let them walk.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the health and nutrition of the 6 month old doe has a lot to do with it.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:45 AM
Spike

Everson,

You got any references for those numbers?
Old 02-09-2002, 06:03 AM

The Md. DNR said a couple of years ago that they estimate 60% of yearling doe fawns here go into heat the first fall. These would be the fawns that have the best feed.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:32 AM

It comes from a whitetail biologist, north american whitetail magazine. I read every article, they do a lot of research. If you want the month and year issue I can find it for you.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

I am a subscriber to north american whitetail, I can attest that everson is right, i did read that article, I'm not sure exactly on the numbers, but they are pretty close to 40 percent and they do tend to have more male fawns that following spring.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:43 PM

Some doe fawns will breed at 6 months of age.It depends on there body.I have had it happen to one of my deer.

Quick Reply: Do Doe Fawns breed their 1st year??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.