Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck shots?

Old 01-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Neck shots?

The difference is point blank vs distant shot, the % of a miss is almost impossible with beef being slaughter..plus it is the head not neck.

I butcher as well, my point was simply a neck has a lot of meat as well and while the ribs have some the amount you'll lose will not be significant enough to support such an arguement. I am not talking about hitting the front shoulder, just ribs, you'll loose some rib meat and flank where as a neck you'll could loose a lot more in neck meat on a mature buck. I guess the idea of saving meat by shooting an animal in the neck doesn't make sense to me over a ribs hit.

PS a neck shot is one of the worst shots if you plan on doing a shoulder mount.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

Neck for me..nothing else unless I have too..
So far.......I have never had a deer even take one step after hitting it in the neck. I convinced a good friend of mine to take a neck shot and since then he feels the same way. I guess the bottom line is you shoot where you feel you will make the cleanest kill.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Outdoor-Just how many big game animals have you taken with neck shots?
Old 01-11-2004, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Gobbling buck,

Let me help you start a good one to go with your neck shots. Because the deer and hogs are so close here (swamp land) where I hunt, I probably have shot 90 % of them in the head. When I was younger I would pass up head shots because I didn't want to mess up racks and that was the only real clear shot I had. I haven't mounted any racks in the past 15 or so years, like to think of myself as a meat hunter first. However, the nice racks that I have taken are nailed up on my barn. I see nothing wrong with a neck shot if you are close enough and know your limitations.

dog1
Old 01-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I'm a shotgunner and I feel a well placed neck shot within say 60 or 70 yards are a sure shot to drop em. Provided you are using a 12 gauge (I do) if you hit the upper third of the neck the slug delivered may not actually contact the spine but the shock delivered (energy imparted) will certainly take the spine out of service. Whenever possible, this boy drops his crosshairs on the boiler room.

With a 20 gauge I'd have to say you'd have to be 50 yards and eithewr actually hit the spine or go right thru and past it to guarantee lethality.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 01-11-2004, 03:11 PM

Joe_148 instead of shooting it in the heart and tearing off meat like you did why didnt u just shoot it in the head????
Old 01-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I go by this philosophy: http://www.tnoutdoorsmen.com/killzone.htm#
Old 01-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Stubble ---
I can tell you when my first neck was >> 1982 on a 8 point that was chasing a doe...he stopped and only offered a neck shot (bow)...I thought about it and was confident I could hit the "white" ring just under his chin..very high in the neck. That buck dropped straight down much to my amazement and never even kicked..shot was close 40' +-...since then I have been hooked.
If I had to guess how many I would say 20? I shoot a buck a year "usually" (I hope) I can only think of one Texas shot I took and the results were the same.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heart /lung shots for me! Neck shots are too low % shots, and the risk of wounded animals is also too great!
There is a lots of good eating meat in the neck too!
Heart/lungs, zero meat damage and large target too!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:50 PM

I shoot heart/lung or nothing. Although I have never had an oppurtunity where the neck was exposed and the lungs were obstructed so........ I don't know what I would do then but in general I will always take the double lung shot as my first option.

Quick Reply: Neck shots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.