Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting deer

Old 01-10-2004, 03:05 PM

Default RE: baiting deer

I'm in Texas as well. Baiting is legal , and an accepted way of hunting. Tactics are everything, it is not as simple as setting up a feeder or pouring corn on the ground. Placement of feeders, blinds, etc are critical if you want success. I have seen mature bucks move to feeders, both early season and late, after the rut. Hunting over a feeder is much less successful than hunting over the TRAILS that lead to the feeder. Worst thing you can do is place a feeder in the open. That will guarantee you will never see anything but does, yearlings, and young, inexperienced bucks.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of small bucks standing by a corn pile.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:26 PM

Dude that looks like the same buck. If he wasn't shot this year, you need to be scouting him out for next season. He's gonna be a nice one to look for. Those pic's may be b/w but, correct me if I'm wrong, that looks like night time. Find out where he's bedding. Hunt his bedroom and you should find him.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:29 PM

Actually that first pic look like day time. Wasn't sure with the time at 12:04. Guess it's pm.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first pic was right at noon, the second was at night. They are not the same buck, though. I got a lot of pics of the second, even some daytime, the first buck I only got this one and another with him looking back.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:17 PM

i have yet to thank anyone for helping me out....i am new to deer hunting this year and i have found that this is a very informative site....sooooooooooo, THANKS A LOT FOLKS !!!! i have learned quite a bit from all of you......i still have a couple of weeks left in bow season..........then the real fun begins...i will start scouting for next season......any thoughts on what i should be looking for when i start scouting????? once again...THANKS A LOT !!!!
Old 01-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

The first pic was right at noon,
I thought Big bucks never visited a bait pile during the day time. HMMMMMMMMMMM.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

They do only when there's not a hunter to spot them. They are funny like that.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Corn works well. Whitetail addiction is high priced and hasn't had great results around here. Use corn.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

has anyone tried that purina deer chow stuff. if they could just come up with something lighter than corn to carry i would be a happy hunter.

Quick Reply: baiting deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.