Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting deer

Old 01-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: baiting deer

Get some horse and mule or sweet feed as some call it and mix it with your corn, around 20-25% of it to your corn. Its real sticky and has mollasses I believe, so this is why you mix it thin, or it will clump up and stop up the feeder. This I have found to work excellent for deer.
This year I had been getting out of my blind all year long about 9 am, well my buddy got in my blind around that time and shot a really nice 20 "wide heavy horned deer at around 10:30 am. Weve alway talked about sitting at the feeders between the mid-day hours but never do it. Theres been a lot of talk of bucks visiting feeders at mid day. I always time the feeder for a mid day feeding. Maybe next year i'll do it. Sit there at mid day that is.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:42 AM

what you see when a buck come to the feed in the daytime is a rarety. the previous person stated that. please do not try to state words he did not say
Old 01-12-2004, 07:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2004, 07:55 AM

corn is tough to beat i feed it out of season
Old 01-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dep, What I said has been said on here many times,ok.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:03 PM

I have hunted a piece of land for 6 years now. In 5 years only one 8 and 6 point and a few does was harvested between 3 hunters. Last year we bought 3 new feeders for three different stands, we fed with corn year round and every time we were hunting we spread Alph Alpha and Sweet Feed. This hunting season. We 4 hunters, have harvested 1 hog, 5 Axis does, 1 axis buck, 2 whitetail does, 4 whitetail bucks, one chocolate fallow and one aoudad.

We also started using cameras and have seen several hundred harvestable animals. They could have all been duplicates but the sightings and this season has been vary generous.

Call it what you will but the feeders have done their job as for meat goes all of the deer I harvest are trophies however the few 100 calss bucks that were shot this year could have been left alone a year or two, but there are more hunters in west texas free range than you could believe. If we didnt tag them someone else would have.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:15 PM

the theory that you see deer at a feeder is not true. it happens but very seldom. mature bucks are an extreme rarity.the statement that deer are not seen in the daytime is also not true.out of 40 years of hunting i have never seen a mature buck come to one of my feeders. they were shot on trails or roadways. many of these statements about texas hunting are being made by people who have never hunted here. what they see on tv is these high fence ranches. high fence ranches are all over the country and not just texas.the gentleman that showed the 2 bucks has some very nice pics.i looked closely with a magnifying glass and they do look like the same deer.the first pic is awfully dark for a noon time pic.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have stated, as long as it's legal i have no problem with it what so ever. I have multiple stands, some i bait and some i don't.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:43 AM

they need to legalize it everywhere because it doesnt hurt a thing and people are going to do it anyways, half the deer killed around here that come in the processor are full of corn and it is not legal here so they might as well make it legal, helps deer also
Old 01-13-2004, 08:08 AM

BAITING IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY AND SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.

Quick Reply: baiting deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.