Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dog running

Old 01-07-2004, 06:04 AM

Default dog running

i was just wondering how many people on this site run dogs?
Old 01-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: dog running

I don't for deer. It's only legal in about 3 or 4 counties in NC anyway.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:10 AM

in virginia its legal but i dont do it just because of the fact of i dont see it as "real" hunting... making the dogs do the work... that doesnt mean i believe it shouldnt be done if it puts meat in the feezer... but i dont do it
Old 01-07-2004, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I was younger I used to run dogs with my uncle, now that he has passed and I am a lot older I don't have the energy to run them any more. We didn't road hunt when running dogs, we ran too, just not as much as the dogs!
Old 01-07-2004, 07:48 AM

i guess the main reason why i dont like it is because where shotgun stalker(new member and good buddy of mine) hunt the guys are basically a$$es and hunt from the road and that good stuff and it really annoys us...
Old 01-07-2004, 08:38 AM

there not allowed here. I was always told that if i saw a dog chasing to shoot them.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:42 AM

if the dog comes on my buddies uncle land then they.. or i... will shoot the dog... unless of course it a big deer that the dog is chasing
Old 01-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was always told that if i saw a dog chasing to shoot them.
That is legal in some states.

Now, I do have rabbit dogs. But we must use commen sense and don't hunt rabbits until deer season is over, unless we know the land and the owners VERY well. We hunt our land during deer season, but no land we are invited on until after deer season. Some pups will run deer even after being trained as a rabbit dog. Deer scent is more dominant.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

I was raised on deer hunting with dogs. Although I don't do it anymore with regularity (I did go once this year), I have alot of respect for most of the folks who choose to deer hunt this way. Many of them hunt this way because it's just plain fun, you get to see alot of deer, you get to hear the dogs run when you don't see them, etc. As a group of hunters, there is no more comradery and friendship in hunting camps than there is in a dog hunting camp in my view.

On the other side, I can agree that some dog hunters do stupid and illegal things, just like some hunters of any other type. I wouldn't hunt with those guys.

Also, it really isn't hunting, the dogs are hunting and you are shooting if the opportunity presents itself. But it's a perfectly acceptable form of deer hunting in my book if you choose to hunt that way.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is illegal to hunt deer with dogs here in Texas, but it still goes on!
I didn't mind it so much, if people would have just kept the dogs on their own property! I know the dogs don't know property lines, but the owners did!

Quick Reply: dog running

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.