" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Frightened in the forest....... >

Frightened in the forest.......

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Frightened in the forest.......

Old 01-10-2004, 09:46 AM

Default RE: Frightened in the forest.......

This summer near soldotna, AK my dad me and my two little bro's were hiking to see the red salmon jump up the russian river falls. we were within 600 yds of the falls when we see two cubs run across the trail, yes grizzly cubs. We backed up 200 yds and waited 10 minutes and then we kept going to see the falls. we had made it back to the spot where we saw the cubs when we look up the hill side and see a HUGE angry momma grizzly charging us. we started to yell and scream as we backed up to a tree and climbed up. We were in that tree for 2 hours before we felt safe enough to get down. this is all made worse seeing as I was 14 my little bros were 10 and 12 so we felt we were "inadequately prepared"- seeing as our plane took off in 6 hours back in anchorage- to shoot a charging momma bear and then deal with the game warden.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:26 AM

several years ago, i was out bow hunting in an area that i really didnt know that well--not a wise idea--after watching a doe appear and then her baby come trotting out after her i decided to move up the mountain to see what i could see, several hours had passed and a few miles later i figured i better be getting bk in home direction,- due to daylight starting to disapear- i started down the side of the mountain which was 99% hardwoods, when all of the sudden --for reasons im still not sure i looked up into this very large beach tree--low and behold this "black thing" about the size of a 50lb grn bag, came down and started following me rather quickly, the faster i got moving it did too. I looked bk several times to see if was still there- I'll be dammed its gaining- there wasnt enough light to tell exactly what this thing was and i wasnt really interested in waiting for it to get close enough to see what it was. needless to say a dead run down hill in unknown woods wasnt a picnic. worst of all it was my first experience while bowhunting for the first time.--scared the hell right out of me, being chased out of the woods.[]
Old 01-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

About 25 years ago, I was bowhunting in a ground blind and tried rattleing for the first time. I was fairly new to bowhunting then. A friend of mine had told me he had tried it and was very successful. The rut was in full swing so I decided to give it a try. I had rattled in 4 different bucks that morning but never got a shot because they had all seen me before I could get off a shot. I wasn't very well concealed in the blind and I was a greenhorn then. Well anyway, the sun was setting and there was about 30 min. of shooting light left. I rattled one last time. A couple min. after i stopped, I caught a glimpse of a pretty decent size buck off to my left, about 50-60 yards away, walking parrallel sp? with his head down. I could tell just by the way he was walking that he was looking for a fight. He crossed a stone wall, never lifted his head, and began to circle me! I'm thinking, oh $hit, what am I going to do if he decides to come in after me? I was ready to climb a tree or just start jumping and hollering. He then got into some thick brush that was to my right, and he disappeared. Half a minute later, I heard him in there fighting with another buck! That lasted for about a minute, then silence. Apparently, there musta been another buck coming into my rattling that I didn't know was there and they just happened to meet up in that thicket. I waited about 10 min. without hearing anything and left the stand. By then it was pretty dark. I'm telling you, I made all kinds of noise when I left the stand to go back to the truck. I'll never forget it!