Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Novice and scouting

Old 01-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Novice and scouting

Need some suggestions. Been a few yrs since I have hunted, and even then sort of flew by the seat of my pants. Have son interested in hunting, and I need to brush up the best ways to scout out a new place. I looked at Bass Pro for some videos on scouting terrain, signs, how to tell good bedding areas, food plots, etc... but all were mostly just hunts. Bought one that had some tips, but they were mimimal. Anyone have any info on some goods videos that help to explain it that I could order online? Also, what are your best tips, and does it help much to get a topographical map of the area? Thanks
Old 01-06-2004, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Novice and scouting

If you already have access to the property you will be hunting (I am assuming your season is over now) then now would be an excellent time to start scouting the area out because where you find the deer now is where they more than likely will be late in the season next year.

A topo map will help you to quickly identify funnels and the such and a recent airiel map will help even more. I would look for any mast bearing trees now and identify funnels into those areas. Also look for food sources other than mast, crop fields, berry patches etc. Look for travel ways in low lying areas with cover and of course you want to find the bedding areas. The more time you spend learning the property and using a set of binoculars for long distance scouting the better your chances will be.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:04 AM

dang taz you are full of knowledge, well said,i will be doing alot of scouting this weekend and will carry a 22 to help the squirrel population and it is fun, get out take the kid with you and scout and hunt all at the same time. Look for horned trees, rubs, i like to go a day after a good rain, easier to find trails and so forth
Old 01-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

and using a set of binoculars for long distance scouting the better your chances will be.
I like this method when it gets closer to the opening of the season. I prefer to keep my stinking but out of there until I have to be in there. But off season especially now, I agree is the best time to do some scouting. I don't know where you're from but if you have fresh snow on the ground go out and see where they like to hang out. good luck.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good Info mentioned, also talk with the landowner if private land it is amazing how much they know about the game in the area, it can narrow down the possibilities. Topo maps are good if they are recent or reflect the land mass as it is today, however you may find them out of date. A recent aerial photo is the cats meow and again a landowner may have had this done so talking with him might lead you to at least a looksy at a aerial photo and the company which produced it for him. If your hunting state land you can obtain both aerials and topo's from the information dept of the government for an area. The best has been said get out and do some walking, look for food/water sources, cover for travel and beds, natural points that funnel deer to one particular spot (tree row, saddles, ridges, etc) & deer trails. Other signs are rubs, scrapes and possibily sheds to indicate buck activity. Also while out look for possible spots for a blind or treestand in corelation to the activity.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

These are all great tips, St.Barnard.

As far as videos, I really learned a lot watching Drury Outdoors releases. I recommend the Dream Season and 100% Wild, 100% Fair Chase series. Not only do you see the successful and unsuccessful hunts, but each hunter talks about what he/she is seeing and why they do what they do to get those deer within range.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:13 AM

Great advice from everyone...

The best time that I like to scout is from Jan or Feb through April(right before the leaves start on the trees). This is the easiest time to see last years rubs and scrapes. If the buck hasn't been shot, chances are he'll be back at those next year. Plus you can get out and look for sheds. I mainly bow hunt, so I like to use this time to cut shooting lanes in new spots. So come June-mid-July, I can just hang my stands and stay the heck out of there for my opener in Sept. All my scouting, cutting shooting lanes and hanging stands is done to keep away from leaving my scent in the woods.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the helpful replys. I have not gotten on the lease yet, but lease manager thinks a couple spots are going to open up soon, now that the season is over. I should have said that the land is 1400 acres, mostly bottom land, with some of it bordering a river. I think all of it is pretty thick. Has not had that much deer hunting pressure, because most of the guys on it are more into duck hunting over river and slews. Also, hate to say it, but a lot of the guys on it seem to be more of the "white collar" type that go out for few hrs. and hope to see deer, without putting in much time effort throught the yr preparing. land is a wetland management area, that cannot have any timber cut/sold or major land changes. A friend said that "it is thick and a lot of it is muddy/wet, so it is hard to hunt for deer, especially without a fourwheeler". Am not an expert by no means, but seems to me that this would be good to hunt, as area has oaks/acorns on it, and should have some dry areas for bedding also, if they can be located. Hope to go look at property soon.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Forgot to add, I'm in East Texas. How do you get your location to show up under your screename?
Old 01-06-2004, 11:45 AM

its under my profile

Quick Reply: Novice and scouting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.