Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Who taught you to hunt? And tell us a memory you have of them. >

Who taught you to hunt? And tell us a memory you have of them.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who taught you to hunt? And tell us a memory you have of them.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:17 PM

Default Who taught you to hunt? And tell us a memory you have of them.

My dad was a game warden. I was born on a state wildlife farm.
We raised pheasants and deer.
He taught me how to hunt & trap.
I remember following him around when I was only 3 years old checking traps. I wasn't sure why we were doing that at the time. I just remember I liked being with him while he was doing it.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who taught you to hunt? And tell us a memory you have of them.

Mostly I taught myself by reading a lot, and spending a lot of time in the woods.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:34 PM

My dad taught me everything about guns and hunting when I was growing up. I was very lucky to have someone like him there not only to teach me but to teach me correctly. Safety first. I have so many memories of hunting with my dad that I can't even begin to count them.

The best memory I have was this year......and my dad wasn't even there. I took his gun just to try and change my luck in the middle of a horrific season and I ended up taking a 13 pointer walking through a field. As I shouldered his Wingmaster I swear my dad's advice that I had heard 1,000 times echoed in my head........"Aim the gun kiddo" and I was able to remain calm and focused enough to stop him with a MEEEEEA grunt and place a slug just behind his left shoulder. Just way too many things happened that day for me to dismiss it all as coincidence............to top it all off it was Thanksgiving day!!

I will never forget that day and all my dad has done for me through the years.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Self taught here.

And let me tell you I had many, many lessons for myself.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm self-taught as well. I've read everything I can find on the Internet and in the library, and I browse the forums here. I've loved being in the woods since I was a kid, so that part kind of comes naturally.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am a self taught hunter as well. My dad rest his soul. Was a working fool who really never took time to hunt or fish much. I hunted with uncles and cousins a lot but as a younger man I enjoyed getting out by myself and learning by trial and error. The lessons you learn this way tend to stay with you.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:21 AM

i hunted with relatives also , but consider my self ,self taught on the finer aspects
Old 01-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

my dad taught me the ways of the outdoors....when i was very young still in diapers i was fishing with him...i have pics of a rainbow trout i caught in diapers with dads flyrod and a nightcrawler....sure he tossed it out there and held onto the rod but i mostly reeled it in...then about 5 i was scouting and such with him just short walks in the woods....then about 6 i was squirrel hunting beside him...couldnt shoot till i was 12 but i could watch....then one morning we were supposed to go squirrel hunting...i woke up and thought dad left me.....he wasnt feeling good and was still in bed....he promised me later that night i could go on my very first coon hunt.....dad only been hunting coons a few months at the time...i couldnt wait....i was excited.....that night we did indeed go coon hunting.....and i loved it....i coon hunted scouted fished and squirrel hunted with dad till i was 12....then we moved and we couldnt have the coon dogs....when i turned 12 spring turkey was the first game in and dad was new at that too...only hunted a few years but was rather successfull.....we had a great year seen alot of birds but i didnt shoot....over the years dad taught me alot about hunting, fishing, the ways of the outdoors, and about life...we have a great time together but keep it safe and always have fun...last spring i was finally 16...i could hunt alone....i love hunting with dad but with work and everything he cant always go....the first and second days my dad had to work...he forgot to take them off....first day i hunted with my friend...had a few coming but not commiting....second day...i asked dad if i could stay home and go alone behind the house...i scouted the birds for a long time back there all by myself...he agreed and told me to be careful.....i agreed and walked down the street in the dark that morning.....8am i shot my first turkey ever....a long beard..all by my self....from calling to scouting to the setup and hunt.....it was a great feeling.......and dad looked really proud to see i really was listening and learning when he was teaching me...now im turning 17 in 3 months and still love to hunt and fish....and even though i can go alone and with friends id still rather do it with dad if i can......
Old 01-04-2004, 11:00 AM

Nice Mauser!
Thanks for sharing that.
It's nice to know the traditions are being passed down to such good hunters like you. I'm sure when you have kids you will pass them on as well.
Really cool to know that your first pick as hunting partners is your Dad!
I hope my kids feel the same when they get old enough.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad was never a hunter...It was my neighbor that got me hooked on hunting. We used to go for birds and rabbits and when I was able to go on my own I started hunting for larger game.

Quick Reply: Who taught you to hunt? And tell us a memory you have of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.