Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Who taught you to hunt? And tell us a memory you have of them. >

Who taught you to hunt? And tell us a memory you have of them.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who taught you to hunt? And tell us a memory you have of them.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:54 PM

Default RE: Who taught you to hunt? And tell us a memory you have of them.

i basically taught myself how to hunt. just asked a lot of people a lot of different questions.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Like a lot of the others here, my dad taught me how to hunt and the key he says is to "hunt safely." My dad and I have hunted deer only as that is all that he likes to hunt and we have been doing that now for about 22 or 23 years now. Some of the time, I just went with him, walking, stalking etc. When I was 16, he finally let me get my own deer tag. He and my mom bought me a 30-30 Winchester lever action that only had open sites. Opening day, I didn't get a chance to shoot. The second day, we saw two nice doe standing in a field at about 150 yards out. He told me "steady now, aim a little high since they are so far out and gentle sqeeze the trigger." Let's just say one shot, one nice doe, one excellent experience. Since then, my dad and I have went hunting together every year, except for this year. My dad's health has been slipping lately and this may have even been his last year hunting. He just wanted to stay 5-10 miles from home. Since I live 2 1/2 hours away, it made it difficult to hunt together. To make a really long story a little short, he ended up taking a nice 3x4 mulie buck about 3-4 miles from his house and I couldn't have been more proud of him! Isn't it the parents that are supposed to be proud of the kids? For me, it's totally my dad. He's the best!
Old 01-05-2004, 05:22 PM

POPS taught me everything i know about hunting
showed me how to sit still and when to move when not to move taught me safety taught me how to enjoy being outside
i went squirrel hunting with him when i was 4 or 5
started me bow hunting when i was 11 and got me hunting with a gun that same year
i guess the whole family has really helped me out though my uncle mike taught me how to pattern deer you know like really figure em out dad was never to good at that he would always just throw a stand up wherever it looked good but he always tagged a monster first weekend LOL uncle don taught me how to laugh at my mistakes my grampa he is just lways around to help evryone he showed me how to gut a deer so i gues really my whole family taught me
Old 01-05-2004, 08:16 PM

i am enjoying getting to know all of you and how you came to learn about hunting.
thanks for some great posts!
look forward to reading more.
Glad we are passing down the traditions that we have been taught & have learned by trial and error.
Also glad to give credit to those who have been our teachers
Old 01-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

My dad and uncles starting me in the sport at young age and stuck with me for few years to begin with. They taught me safety first, respect the land and animals. I owe them big for taking me down the right path to begin with, instead of stirring up trouble as a youngster I was in the woods, on the water or playing other sports. They have both since stopped hunting and much I have learned on my own but they still are huge reason behind my passion for the outdoors. They both still get excited when I talk about my days events or harvests, so they are still apart of my hunting trips...just in mind not body.