Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer Meat will your family eat it >

Deer Meat will your family eat it

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Meat will your family eat it

Old 01-02-2004, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Meat will your family eat it

The whole fam damily eats it here.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:32 AM

everyone in this family will eat it
Old 01-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

My whole family eats it and loves it. My daughter always comes out to see it hang in the garage. My daughter loves animals and has no problems eating deer meat.

I had cooked a deer and beef roast in the same pot and had my in laws over for dinner on nigh t. The deer roast was the first one finished without them knowing about it and they enjoyed it.ˇ
Old 01-02-2004, 07:22 AM

I'm sure anyone w/ small children would agree how picky they can be about eating. My 7-year old son is no exception, but for reasons unknown he'll eat venison (cooked in any fashion) like it's going out of style. It's a beatutiful thing.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

I am the only one who eats it in my house. I periodically share with guests or take some to friends, but there is lots in my freezer. My girlfriend will not touch it. She saw me doing some field dressing and.....well, the rest is history.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

My whole family will chow it. (even my 2 year old)!!

However there is one member of my family that detests deer meat. Any form of it will make her sick for days!!! Little does she know she's been eating it for about 10 years now at Christmas Eve and 4th of July. Kielbasa venison is some goooooooooood stuff. You should see her go after that stuff. hheheheheheheh. What she don't know won't kill her. (i hope)
Old 01-02-2004, 08:18 AM

Wife finally tried it this year. She's hooked! Another one bites the dust! Never thought I'd see the day but [SHE LIKED IT].
Old 01-02-2004, 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: biscuit eater

My son and me like to eat deer meat.
Maybe if more people called it venison instead of "deer meat" it would sound more appealing to others. I never heard anyone use the terms "cow meat" or "pig meat" and frankly none of them sound very tastey.

My wife won't even cook it for me.
Yikes

I guess it's the thoughts of seeing it hanging in the garage they can't deal with.
My wife doesn't really mind seeing a hanging deer.......she doesn't exactly love it though either. She always says "poor thing".........but we have many deer in our yard every day so it's hard for her not to see them as pet like. She had never tasted venison when we met and is not much of a red meat eater anyways but she never turns away a venison dish. My whole family was raised eating venison so it's just natural to us.

One more thing.........slipping a little grind into some sausage that the family eats is one thing but serving venison to company (or anyone for that matter) without telling them is a very poor decision if you are trying to get others to share your love of venison. No one likes to feel tricked and should not be fed something they don't want to eat just because we think it tastes great. How would some of us feel if after we ate a meal at someone's house they said it was made from rat meat or dog meat?? I tell everyone there is venison in something before they eat it........the last thing I want someone doing is wasting any of my game because they don't like or don't want to try it. If you don't wnt to eat it........I will

My wife's mother even takes some grind every year now and makes a huge batch of meat balls for family gatherings.......Big Italian family and they all LOVE the venison meatballs.

Sometimes I really think people's views on venison are shaped by their first experiences with it. If they see a wonderful smelling and tastey looking dish of well cooked meat and they are invited to try some if they wish..........they are probably much more likely to have a favorable impression of venison instead of the people who walk into a dead animal in the garage as a kid or see (and smell) antlers boiling on the stove...........or even worse they just finish eating a meal with friends or family when they notice everyone is laughing at them and when they ask why they all shout "YOU JUST ATE DEER MEAT!!!!!"

I'm hungry
Old 01-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

My wife loves wild meat and fish. Our 2 girls have been raised on it, so they like it just fine. They even watch dad skin and butcher the game. It is all conditioning I guess, since my wife grew up on the farm she learned animals where raised to be harvested for food...my kids same thing. I will not let my wife cook wild meat however, she over cooks everything Well except for sausage

Biscuit, have you tried doing it different ways. Sausage, merinades, jerky? My buddies wife use to not like venision until he started feeding her it in Jerky, sauced or sausage, now she is just fine with the flavor and texture. Keep trying but don't force them!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:06 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Wife told me this year that she didn't really like the way I made it last year. So I bought a cook book and tried several ways. One that was a big hit was slicing thin, dipping in milk/egg mixture then breading and pan frying. The kids call it deer chicken and I can never make enough to satisfy them.

David

Quick Reply: Deer Meat will your family eat it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.