Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting with hounds?

Old 01-01-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Hunting with hounds?

Who else here uses dogs to hunt deer? It seems that hardly no one does, but I think this is due to the areas most people hunt. At our camp in northern Ontario (Canada) it is wilderness. I think most you people hunt more in residential and agricultural areas like on Buckmasters etc..Where we hunt if you didnt have dogs you wouldn't see a deer all week, and even if you do see a deer your considered lucky. So before you go hatin', you have to realize that I'm hunting the big woods, no fields..

Currently we have 3 beagles and a blue tick, not me myself but other members of the camp.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting with hounds?

i live in huntsville ont. and ive got a hunt camp not far from my house. we also use dogs here and we have pretty good luck using them. ive got 2 black and tans and a trained july hound. they do all the work lol. whereabouts is your camp?
pat
Old 01-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i ahve heard of people using dogs to track deer they have shot but not to see deer
Old 01-01-2004, 05:33 PM

I use beagles to hunt deer with (5).my hunting buddy has (9) and another has (6). we only put about 5 at a time out.it is awsom to hear them on a track.
nothing like it.I know some don't like it,but thats because most that don't have never tried it.JMHO

I have only taken 1 deer ahead of the dogs in the last 8 or 9 years,just a lot of fun hearing them.most of the deer I take is in bow or B/P season from a tree stand.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

The club I'm in now does not use dogs, but I have been in clubs that do. We have a neighboring club that uses dogs and last night they ran deer all around me. I still enjoyed a good chase.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:00 PM

nope but, each to their own
Old 01-01-2004, 08:10 PM

On the second week I hunt not far from my house near a residential area, and although there are more deer, I'd still way rather be at the camp. Theres nothing more exciting than hearing the dogs on a fresh chase. I watch the tv shows and hear people on this board talking about how they seen 20 deer in one day etc. I seen one buckmasters where they were in a box on the ground, and they had like 30 deer 30 yards out feeding. Im sorry but to me this isnt exciting at all, I'd rather fire my gun off at one deer all season and miss than see 30 deer at once..what would be the excitement in that?

Bigbuckfrenzy, our camp is about 20 minutes north of Buckhorn. And then probably another 20 mins farther north is Haliburton. What is a july hound? Ive never heard of those before..
Old 01-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunted with hounds for over 30 years and loved it. We would still be using hounds if we could afford enough large tracts of land.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

all of the clubs around here use them, once the regular firearms season comes in and the dogs hit the woods, you can throw out all of your routine deer that you see because those "truck hunters" with the dogs stir up all the woods (even the land they don't own or have permission to hunt)
Old 01-02-2004, 08:54 AM

man i hate to see coon hounds be trained to run deer.coon hounds are for coon hunting not running deer.if you are going to run deer get some kind of bassit hound mix or something. i can understand hunting up there with dogs but don't have a coon hound.

Quick Reply: Hunting with hounds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.