Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting with hounds?

Old 01-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting with hounds?

i hunt with deer dogs......mine drive trucks...scout.....shoot deer and everything......i got the greatest deer dogs there are....they will track a wounded deer....help me drag...even help me butcher it if i want.......my favorite breed is american.....i hunt with a bunch of guys and all the ones that shot a buck this year are our drivers....they are my friends uncle and family and their friends.....im not sure how i got involved but they are great deer dogs....me and the dogs will be goin out tomarow about 11am......cant wait.....

seriously......dogs are illegal here.....i think it owuld be kinda fun to hunt behind dogs but then again i dont know..deer hunting with real dogs would be kinda wierd to me....born and raised and taught to shot deer in a thicket right up close and personal.....doing drives with the deer dogs as i call my friends and their family and shooting in fields and stuff is all new to me.....felt kinda wierd for a while.....now i think its alot of fun and a good way to be successful........
Old 01-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Pearl Jam... not to start anything but I would like to say that I dislike your way of putting all dog hunters into one group.. Granted there are a good number of poachers who call themselves hunters out there and they hunt from the road and or on property that they dont have rights to but that does not by any means mean that everyone who hunts with dogs is like that. Far from it, I know more hunters that are houndsmen that are more sportsmen and ethical than some a good deal of still hunters I have met or overheard talking. That would be like having one guy who was still hunting trespass onto your hunting lands and you catch them and then start saying all still hunters are trespassers, its just not the case. I do not agree by anymeans with hunting dogs on land that you are not suppose to be on but when done like it should be it is a wonderful branch of this heritage we call hunting.

Dont get me wrong a do alot of still hunting.. everyday from the begining of bow season through black powder(only miss 3 days or so- not whole days all the time but evenings or mornings) and then during general firearms season I still hunt a good deal of the time, but I do hunt with a group that does dog hunt and I love it!!! I have also gone back and still hunted a section of land that we ran dogs on that morning and have seen deer that evening that were relaxed. I understand your being upset about it but do not call poachers hunters or lump a entire group of people into a clump because of any experencies you may have had a few individuals. I also cant stand when someone says they are going to shoot the dogs. In Va its very illegal to kill any domesticated animals ie sporting dogs. They are not trespassing, they are only doing what is natural to them, it is the owner and only the owner that is responsible. Yes it may p*ss you off to have them run though an area where your hunting, but dont take it out on them.JMO

Like I saidI am not trying to push any style of hunting more than another since I love all styles but yes I am on my soapbox when it comes to bashing a style of hunting that you are not use to or personally disagree with. That is what makes this country great is that we each are entitled to our own opinions.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Pearl Jam.. let me start by saying that I am not intending to stir up anything but feel I need to voice my concerns as another hunter..I would like to address your use of the term Truck hunters when refering to anyone who hunts with dogs. I will strongly disagree with the lumping of all houndsmen into a sterotype because of a few individuals. I grew up a still hunter and still do a great deal of it. I had alot of friends who hunted with dogs and about 10 years ago I went with them and have been doing it ever since. It is like the addiction of pulling a bow back on your first whitetail. I still hunt a few hours everyday form the opening of archery all the way through black powder. Once general fireamrs season starts I still do alot of still hunting but I also go hunt with a group who runs dogs. I have even still hunted a property that we ran that morning and saw deer that were relaxed.
But back to your statement, I know there are some poachers who try to call themselves hunters that drop the dogs onto someones land and go to the other side and wait for them to come through or drop them onto land that is beside theirs and run the deer onto their land. Those people I have big issues with as they are not hunting they are no better than someone who spotlights a deer (killing it with a spotlight not just shinning and watching them). But there area lot of hunters that run dogs that do it like it should be and on their property and dont hunt off the public roads! I know alot of groups around here have rules that if someone has to leave a section of property to try to catch the dogs that whoever leaves must leave their gun with a memeber who is staying on the land. That way if they were stoped or someone sees them trying to catch a dog in the road and stops and questions them they can not be blammed for road hunting. NOt all of them do it but I know some that do that, but even still I know some that still leave to catch dogs and wont shoot anything where they are not suppose to no matter how big it is.
I also am sickend by the people who are saying I am going to shoot any dog I see running deer. First off in Va it is a felony to kill a sporting dog no matter if its a lab someone uses for ducks or an old hound running deer. It is not the dogs fault at all, I knwo some people say they cant read signs while this is true it is not the argument i have. The dog is only doing what its instincts are telling it to do. It is natural for a hound to run things.. now where that hound is let out to start running is not up to it. It doesnt make the choice to stop the truck and open the dog box doors. Now it does make the choice once it hits the ground to start doing what it is natural for it to do. The owners are the ones who control where they let them out to do it. Yes you can let them out on your land and they run onto other peoples land because they dont know where the lines are at, in this case no one is wrong and the dogs should be caught as soon as possible and most clubs I know do this and have good relationships with the landowners aournd them and the hunters who hunt there so they can retreive their dogs soon as not to disturb others that badly. BUt why shoot the dog??? they are not in the wrong and should not be held responsible... call the sheriffs office or dept of game and inland fisheries to handle it.

I do not mean to stir up anything just trying to open up some eyes that not all hunters are as one bad apple is!! It would be like catching a still hunter that was trespassing on land i was hunting then me saying all still hunters were poachers(trespassers) not very fair huh!! I will get down off my soap box now!! JMO
Old 01-07-2004, 01:53 PM

Great posts eng40sqd.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

eng40sqd - first off, you don't apparently understand what I was saying. I don't care if people use dogs to hunt, I myself hunted with a club for years that used them, I would just rather still hunt and thats all I do now. BUT there are a number of bad hunt clubs in the area I live and they have poor hunting ethics.

And if you were pointing at me about shooting at dogs or whatnot, then aparently you did not read right because I have never and will never shoot at a dog, and I never have said that I would. If I catch a dog, I call the owner so that it can get the heck out of where I am hunting.

you don't even have to reply to this but I just wanted to clear this up. No need to be a total ass about it
Old 01-08-2004, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Eng well said, Pearl he may have misread your statements or he may have been referring to someone else on the issue of shooting dogs.

Although I have not hunted with dogs for years, I would do it again if the opportunity came up. We always used short legged beagles for running deer down home (Northern Neck), a short leg beagle can push a deer all day long, but they never push them hard, their legs are to short, I always prefered using the short legs because the deer normally are just at a trot, and sometimes just a brisk walk. You get some hounds on them and they are flying!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Pearl.. Let me say that I guess it is my fault for not clarifying the part I was directing at you... the whole post was not meant to be directed at you and I guess I should have been a little more clear on that part. I am truely sorry if you took it directed at you 100% The only part I was directing toward you was your reference to the term truck hunters in regards to dog hunters, I mistook it as a lumping of all dogs hunters into that group!! Once again if I was mistaken then I am sorry on that accord as well. Like i stated I do alot of still hunting myself and also dog hunting. I do not try to push anyone to hunt like they do not wish to, so I am not trying to say dog hunting is the only hunting.. It is one of many styles of the sport we all love and respect.

The issue of shooting dogs was brought on actually by a reply someone put in a similar post on here... and yes unfortunatly once I got on my soapbox I just started about everything lol.....

To anyone who has read my other reply on this post please be aware I was not directing it soley at Pearl Jam.. Just the way I thought he was useing the term truck hunters... the rest of the post is just my feelings on this issue.. sorry for any misunderstandings...

Justin

Pearl maybe we will have ot get togther next year and do some black Powder hunting... I see you had the horseshoe earlier this year... nice deer....

Taz.... I will have to take you into the woods and help bring back some memories of days past... we will listen to the dogs and not care if we shoot or even see a deer!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

eng40sqd - hey I'm sorry about the whole thing, I don't want any enemies or hard feelings on this board, I enjoy coming here talking with the people here. I do know sometimes these posts come off wrong as I am pretty passionate about hunting by the books and doing whats right because I see so much wrong going on during the season and it just burns me up!!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 07:20 AM

My first deer was killed in front of a bluetick/walker hound my friend and I had borrowed.
2 boys and one dog. We killed three deer that year including a very nice 9pt that my friend shot. I dont dog hunt now but thats how I started.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I grew up running dogs, we used everything from beagles to red bones, black and tans and July walkers, the best we ever had was a mix between black lab and walker. Its a shame but dog hunting around here is pretty much a thing of the past due to all the large tracks of land being devided up. I have killed way more deer still hunting than I ever did with dogs but there is nothing like hearing a pack of hounds trail a deer and then jump it. I wish my kids could experience it like I did but thats one thing I won't be able to past down.

Quick Reply: Hunting with hounds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.