Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Another hunter in my turf...what would you do? >

Another hunter in my turf...what would you do?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another hunter in my turf...what would you do?

Old 12-31-2003, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another hunter in my turf...what would you do?

AS A LAW ENFORCMENT OFFICER AND A HUNTER MY ADVICE TO YOU IS THE SAME AS THE OTHERS, MAKE A PHONE CALL TO YOUR LOCAL POLICE OR STATE GAME WARDENS, MAKE THIS CALL WHEN YOU KNOW FOR A FACT HE IS HUNTING FOR DEER OUT OF SEASON, NO NEED TO GIVE YOUR NAME OR PERSONEL INFORMATION
Old 12-31-2003, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

bsb, you can't exactly go up to the guy and tell him, well i was here first and this place is too small for 2 people. Like Mag man said, if you go up to him making all these complaints, your the one going to be out a hunting spot....if i was you, i would talk to the guy and let him know whats on your mind about this spot. Another approach would be to call the GW's like everyone said, but maybe he'll have his license revoked for a while and there goes your problem.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:12 PM

Why not just talk to the guy. Say your shotgun is illegal. Also you could say you got monday wednesday friday. I got the rest. Just a suggestion.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ask the landowner if this person is a relative. If he is go to the DNR and advise them of whats going on. DNR can come onto private property as long as they received a complaint or witness a violation of game laws themself. If he is not a relative advise the landowner of what is going on, he I'm sure wouldn't condone this type of activity on his land, as least I would hope not. Good luck with the problem and whatever course of action you decide to take.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:32 PM

if you know its illegal call the game warden, go to the land owner and let him know how you are doing whats going on and bring a few chops for him, then "happen to be posted where he will walk back to his truck and be nice but see what he is hunting for so you dont look dumb if he is clean
Old 12-31-2003, 11:46 PM

Thats why i lease . landowner does that i can take legal action.
i have had something similar happen with a uncle. he gave permission to a guy to hunt. we had a talk and well i left. but now he is stuck on 100 acres to hunt tree rats and i lease all around him. 2000 acres ! i told him if he ventures off onto mine well he gets arrested.

He is already kind of changing his tune. i may not flex for awhile. i want a lease.
with a lease i don't have to talk to him i just get a warrant for the one he gave permission to.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:09 AM

Hi badshotbob,

If someone is violating state game laws.....call enforcement officials. Provide all pertinent information. Private land or not......has no effect on state game laws.

As to the issue of "sharing the space".....you are a "guest" of the land owner. It's his property and he has the freedom to allow anyone there he so chooses. (Whether it's 1 or 101!) The fact he "allows" you there is a privilege...and you have no claim otherwise or "entitlement" to feel "put upon". (It's like hunting on public land....in that you "share with whom ever else has permission to be there".) The solution....."Buy or lease" your own! Otherwise....get use to sharing!

On the issue of violating the law....you are correct! Report it!

On the issue of "sharing"......it's not yours and you are "only a guest". That's the way it is!

Find a "new spot"....(which will also likely require you share).....get use to it.....or buy your own! Not much else you can do!

Best of luck!
Old 01-01-2004, 07:51 AM

I would just simply cut him off. Find out where he's hunting and make it so the deer never make it to him. Or a little ivory soap or human hair would keep the deer away from him and run them to you. Use him to your advantage.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:01 AM

If the guy is breaking the law....turn him in.

If he's not.....you can try to use him to your advantage....as far as spooking, or pushing game. But as to all the other "reindeer games".....don't bother. If he has permission to be there......he has as much right to use the property as you! Handle it maturely and respectfully. (Or you will most decidely be the one "off the property".) If you had permission to "be a guest" on my property...and you disrespected "other guests" on MY property....you'd get the TOSS! All that simple.

Don't play "childish games" with the guy. If he is breaking laws...report him. If he isn't....try to use him to your advantage. But "Don't play immature games"....hunters already have enough bad publicity without another "jerk" adding to the stigma!

I understand your frustration....but handle it maturely. And I sincerely wish you good luck with the situation!

Dave
Old 01-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

If he is violating game laws, call the game warden. There is no reason to say anything to the landowner. Go to the landowner and offer to PAY to have hunting rights on the parcel of land. If it is that good of a spot offer to give him $300 or more and try to insure a good private place to hunt in the future.

Quick Reply: Another hunter in my turf...what would you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.