Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Overcalling?

Old 12-30-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Overcalling?

I was watching a hunting video the other day and there was a guy on there going after trophy whitetails. I don't rmember the guy's name, but he was in a really good spot. A nice 10 point walked in and it was aproaching him. He started to grunt and the buck took off. I thought he had grunted to much. I try to limit it to just a couple grunts, he did twenty or thirty. How often do you call and what call do you do it with? What is the limit before it becomes overcalling?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Overcalling?

Blind calling I only use while rattling and call every 15-20 minutes. I usually just use the grunt in social, contact or tending styles. I have on occasion thrown in a doe bleat. I have used a grunt to mask a noise I made, like a broken branch, rustling, etc..but just one and then shut up and let the woods settle. For visual calling I only call when I need too, if an animals is coming I don't say a boo and will only use it to stop him for a shot. I will try and redirect with a bleat or grunt but if it isn't working I certainly won't keep calling. I start off soft and gradually bring up the tone level. I also will never call an animal I don't intend to harvest while hunting, it just gives your spot away to other deer that maybe approaching. Over calling would be on the horn for several times in a session or calling for 5 minutes or every five minutes. One must remember deer are large unvocalized animals, they rely on other senses more than the call. It can produce results but one must try and use it to their advantage, calling like I said will give an exact pinpoint on your ambush spot so it must be used with some common sense.

I mostly use a grunt call but have had results from doe bleats and fawn bawls, just depends on the situation and what I am hunting at the time. In early bow season if I have an antlerless tag in my pocket I will use either the bleat or fawn bawl to lure a doe into range...sometimes it works and ohers it does not.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:02 AM

Ive tried calling and the use of sents and never had no luck(must be doing it wrong or something)so now i don't use anything and see more deer. I figure if their is sign they will come by eventually and when they do they aren't very leary of the situation(their more relaxed)
This way when they come in they really aren't looking for anything out of the ordinary.
Anyone else feel this way.
tanner1
Old 12-31-2003, 10:17 AM

tanner1 - I agree with you. I've had much more success just keeping quiet and scent-free. I guess there is an art to it, but I haven't figured it out yet. The best success I had this year was about the 3rd day of archery when I bleated in a doe to 10 feet just with my mouth making the sound.....