Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My best day deer hunting.

Old 12-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Spike

Default My best day deer hunting.

I had the best day hunting yesterday that I have ever had.My son and I went together for the first time in over 4 years,his mother and I went thru an ugly divorce in 1999-2000.He got a shot thru thick trees at a small buck in the early am but missed.Later that day I put him in my best stand.less that 10 mintues in stand a herd of about 20-25 deer came by him but no visable bucks in crowd and from then until dark he said he saw at least one deer,sometimes up to four,every 20 minutes or so.He saw so many by dark he had lost count.I saw but seven does and did not fire a shot but this by far was the best day of hunting I have ever had.Having killed over 200 whitetail to date with the biggest scoring 153 B&C I thought it would take killing at least a 154 B&C to make my best day.I thank the Lord for the time I got to spend with my son and just being able to make him happy.Hope one of the gun control nuts reads this and see's hunting is not always about killing.Hope you have your best day soon.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:57 PM

Default RE: My best day deer hunting.

That's awesome. It's not about blood shed to you too evidently. It's about being there. Away from it all and seeing the deer. And being with some one you care about. I took my dad 2 weeks ago and we sat together in a high tower blind overlooking an enormous oatfield. He is recovering from an ATV accident in March and is not allowed to drive yet, so as we have hunted together through the years, this is the first time in a long time we have really paired up to hunt. We had hell getting him up in the stand. But we saw all kinds of deer. Mostly does and small bucks and spikes, but all way off in the distance. We took turns watching out the the little window with binoculars, hoping to catch a monster that my 7mm might reach. Right at dark, as we were getting ready to get down, a beautiful typical 8pt out past his ears jumped the fence and went out into the field. We watched him for 20 minutes, I looked at my watch and told my dad, it was now or never, we only had 5 minutes of legal shooting time left. He smirked and said, he ain't a shooter and we let him walk. He was nice, but the old man has bigger on the wall, so he let him go. I am out of tags, just hoping to get a hog to show me his broadside. But it was exciting. And I will remember it always
Old 12-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounded like a great day! Its good to have those every once in a while!

Good Luck on the next one!
Old 12-28-2003, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you got to explain to people so that they'll get it, they just ain't goin to get it.
Bobby
Old 12-29-2003, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

153 you are like me, a hunt with your child is the hunt of a life time whether you even see a deer or not. To share in the outdoors with a family member is an everlasting memory.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:30 AM

its great just to get outside ....a deer in the freezer is just a bonus
Old 12-29-2003, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree there's nothing like having kids with you. My best time in the woods was this season when I took my son out scouting and moving a couple ladder stands. Glad to hear you had a great day with your son. And where the heck are you to be seeing gobs of deer like that?
Old 12-29-2003, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

153 It is fantastic to hear about the bond that you now have with your son. Divorces are ugly and the children always tend to get hurt in the process. I want to applaude you for the way that two are connected after this unfortunate incident. Good luck to you in the future with your continuing relationship with your son as well as some great upcoming hunts.

Oh yeah, before I forget, in waht state do you live? I have never seen 20-25 deer in any day during season. I would love to see that just once.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

I am 30 years old and a huunting and fishing addict - thanks to my dad. I still remember the first time we went hunting together and smile every time I think about it. There I go again....
Old 12-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Spike

I live in north central North Carolina.I get to hunt in both NC and Virginia.Our deer herd this year is down in my own opinion about 30-40% because of two years of blue tounge.About one day a year I will have a day and will see 20-30 deer.Most days it is just 2-4.I have just started in the last couple of years only taking larger bucks and leaving the small ones go.I used to fill all my tags in VA and NC.I have let 15-20 bucks walk this year hoping to see them again next year.I am a member of a hunting club and trying to get this thru most of their heads seems to be a lost cause,they kill every buck they see,but they all complain because they do not kill any bucks of any size.Let a 4 point walk this year he will be a 8 in another year,let a small 6 or 8 walk and he will be a nice 8 or 10 next year.Hope you all the best and thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: My best day deer hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.