Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

An Instructors greatest gift.

Old 12-26-2003, 08:37 PM

Default An Instructors greatest gift.

Like so many others folks with interest the great outdoors, hunting and people, I am a Hunter Education Instructor. At times I wonder why I even bother.

On the eleven o'clock news one evening at the start of gun season there was a report of a missing 8 year old hunter. A search was in full swing. I prayed for that kid. The next evening they said the kid had been found. What a relief. He had built himself a lean-to shelter and made an S.O.S. sign on the creek bank. Most importantly "he stayed put".

A box came in the mail just before Christmas and naturaly it went under the tree. No mention of who it was from. My son seemed to be getting everyones attention then handed me the package. I opened it and found a bag of Buckwheat flower, Stone Ground Wheat, a new hunting knife with sharpening stone and a whistle. I couldn't figure it out. "Look in the box." In the bottom was a large envelope.

In the envelope was a large picture of two deputy sheriffs standing on each side of a kid in front of a pile of sticks. Simply written on the picture was, "This is my eight year old son. Thank you."

I went outside and cried like a baby. Finally I knew that after all these years I had been doing something that counts.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:43 PM

Default RE: An Instructors greatest gift.

What an awesome story Mossy... All hunters are grateful for what you do and it sure seems that you realize how important you are too!
Thank you and have a Happy New Year!

Jim
Old 12-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Great story. That's what it's all about. Almost made me cry just reading it.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-27-2003, 09:17 AM

Thanks for sharing your story Mossyhead. It's all about passing on the passion. Bless you for your efforts. That story will renew your love for making sure the tradition passes safely.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

now that even brings a tear to my eye, that is awesome
Old 12-27-2003, 06:43 PM

what a great feel good story , you must feel absolutlly wonderful ,as you should
Old 12-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is a great story and a christmas gift you will never forget. Your services to the hunting community are valuable and appreciated.