Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 NEED HELP RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!! >

NEED HELP RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NEED HELP RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-25-2003, 07:06 AM

Default NEED HELP RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Okay deer 1, Im less then 100 yards away, im in woods, I can see her plain as day, I am using a 30-30 Marlin with 170 grain Lok tight points.

I aim right on the shoulder area.

I shoot the deer, BAM, it just stands there, I reload, it runs.

I smoke a cig and go over to where she was standing, there is a HUGE and i mean HUGE splash of blood all over the ground, it looked like someone threw a water ballon full of blood on the ground.

I start looking for a good blood trail, I dont find one.

4 Hours later, I still havent found her.

Next day, (today) Christmas, I leave the house at about 6am, I get into my truck and turn my lights on, there are 4 deer standing at my mailbox, not EVEN 50 yeards away, I could hit them with a gravel if I tried.

I get out of the truck, I load one bullet, I shoot the largest female, her but hits the ground, she runs about 20 yards and she stops.

ALL the other deer are flying out into the woods, she stands there long enough for me to get out another bullet out of the box, load it into my 30-30, and aim and fire again at her.

I shoot her again, she wobbles and runs into the woods.

Im thinking hell yea

Yea right, the powers that be...

I look for her blood trail, I know for a fact I hit her both times.
I dont find one.

I have just returned from a pine forest that she ran into, about 5 acres, there is no underbursh and it is very very clear in there.

Its 9am, I still havent found her.

I called my brother in law, first thing he said for both deer, "You didnt hit them"

Any opinions?
Old 12-25-2003, 07:14 AM

Default RE: NEED HELP RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Get a dog.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:16 AM

Point 1 - If you hit a deer in the vitals (heart lung) it will die. It may take 5-10 seconds. But it will die. How far can a deer run in 10 seconds?

Point 2 - Shoot does in the head with a rifle. Dont tell me its not ethical, been doing it for years with a !00% success ratio. You hit her shes dead. You miss, you get to hunt her again.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:16 AM

Heh,

Im in NC too , 247 acres in Anson county, are you close to there?
Old 12-25-2003, 07:17 AM

How far can a deer run at full speed in 10 seconds? oh , at least 100 yards if not more easily...

Combine that with woods, its bad.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:19 AM

What do you guys think about the fact that I shot the 2cd deer and she ran a little bit and then stopped? I mean she stopped a good 15 seconds eaily.

Do deer normaly do that after you smack them at 50 yds?
Old 12-25-2003, 07:46 AM

No, deer do not normally do that. If you hadn't found blood I would say you missed.

I would work on trailing the deer and not take a shot at any more animals before going to the range and checking the sighting on the rifle.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:49 AM

Just because I have to ask this...

The few deer that I have verifiably shot, have mostly either dropped right on the spot, or are shot, run about 20 yeards and drop.

Is it ever really normal to shoot a deer, have it just stand there for 4 or 5 seconds before it runs, and next question, has ANYONE ever shot or shot AT a deer within 50 yards just to have it run about 20 yards and stand for a GOOD 15 seconds ?
Old 12-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

during archery i have seen and heard where the deer just stood there, but never from a gun shot.....remember to look for broken twigs, tracks, matted grass,even muddied water , where they may have crossed,etc. there are many other signs to look for other than just blood...i'm far from an expert on tracking but it's in me...fl.huntress nicknamed scooby doo ....look under grass blades and plant leaves....and dont rush the search......
Old 12-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

I had a nice 8 pt buck come walking up to my tree stand, when he got to an open spot about 40-50 yds away I shot him in the boiler room with my .444 Marlin. The deer showed no reaction to the shot and just kept walking. I thought I had missed ( deflection by an unseen branch?) , racked a new shell into the chamber waited for a clear shot, bam. Same thing, the deer keeps walking no reaction. the deer goes 20 yds and stops by a fence line. One more time bam, this time he goes down. When I go over and start flied dressing there are 3 holes right behind the crease of the front leg . Each shot would have been fatal, but this deer gave no indication of being hit? Usually they clamp their tail down and scoot out asap. They seldom go more than 100 yds if hit in the chest, further back into the liver area they can go several hundred yds. gut shot several miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.