Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What do you use to stay warm on stand ? >

What do you use to stay warm on stand ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you use to stay warm on stand ?

Old 12-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default What do you use to stay warm on stand ?

I'm old and have thin blood. I get cold sitting on stand when it's 10 degrees and a 15 + mph wind. So I'm curious, how do you guys dress from the inside out to combat such conditions ? and where can I buy the stuff ? I looked at Raven Ware but it is a little expensive for my budget. I tried to sneak a good looking hot blond in the tree stand with me but my wife doesn't like it. I may be old but I still like to look at the menu.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:36 AM

Default RE: What do you use to stay warm on stand ?

One of the keys to staying warm is to stay dry.

That being said, the layer closest to your skin needs to be something that "wicks" away sweat. Anything like polypropolene, silk, or I am have started wearing UnderArmor brand shirt - it's awesome. Make sure cotton is not the closest to your skin whatever you choose.

From that point - I normally layer depending on the tempature and what style hunting I will be doing. It really depends on the individual - wool is great at keeping you warm even if it's weat. Cabela's have down insulated pants that I use.

One thing I will do if I will be sitting for a long period of time is to carry as many of my clothes in as possible. That way I am not building up a sweat as I walk. After I get to my stand - I will add layers as chill sets in.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:50 PM

I do a lot of what Martin Cougar stated, but I typically do either stand hunting or still. When I'm in my stand and it's very cold out, I will use my Mr. Heater to keep me warm. When I'm still hunting or doing some walking, I multilayer as much as I can to keep me as warm as possible. I also use those chemical heaters in my boots. When it gets to a point where I can't take it anymore, it's time to go. Use good sense.

T
Old 12-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Banned

I just use those charcoal activated foot warmers in the toe of each of my boots. I figure if your feet are toasty it keeps the rest of your comfortable. Just my feet get cold...but not anymore thanks to these. Tomster, I wouldn't layer up too much if I was doing any walking. Unlike sitting down, when you're moving you produce more heat. And if you have too many layers on you'll sweat. And if you sweat, when you finally stop you'll get chilled. So the rule of thumb is, dress moderately light if you're going to be walking, but bring along an extra sweater or sweat shirt plus a dry t-hirt that you can put on when you're done walking and plan on taking a stand.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:30 PM

I hunted in early November in the UP of Michigan and the temp on one morning was 6. I lasted about 3 hours in my treestand, after that I just get to cold.

During gun season I use my Double Bull T2 tent to hunt out of, and as the other's stated I carry all my extra clothes in with me or leave them in my blind overnight along with my heavy boots (Rocky Whitetail or Deer Stalkers?) I also use a Mr Buddy propane heater which helps take the chill off when it's real cold. I also take a sleeping bag out with me if it's real cold to wrap up in, it seems to help.

My gun blind is quite a walk through a thick UP swamp, so during gun season I stay out all day. I like using my tent to hunt out of because I can use the heater and spread out more inside. Also it's easy to sneak out the zipper door and take a little walk behind my hunting area to help warm up.

I don't think I'd bother hunting on a regular basis from a treestand in really cold <10 and windy conditions just my preference.

Good Luck
Old 12-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Goose down, still the best thing out there.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Like everyone else has said, pack some clothes in to your stand. No reason to get all bundled up, sweat and scare the deer away.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

I also use the toe warmers. There also handwarmers of the same type that I will put inside my clothing. But not against the skin.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only two other suggestions, do not put on all of these clothes (even layered) and then walk 2 or 3 miles into the area you are going to hunt. Dress as lightly as possible for the trip from the truck to your stand and then put on the clothes. It also helps to keep the heater in the truck at a minimum while driving to your hunting area, getting too warm in transit will make the rest of the day miserable.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:32 PM

Ditto on the hand and foot warmers. I generally don't hunt in much colder than 25. I have found that I can wear fairly light gloves with the warmers which are cheap and keep the ole fingers toasty. Also I agree with the wicking theory concerning thermals. Stay warm and hunt hard! Gary

Quick Reply: What do you use to stay warm on stand ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.