Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Question about Scentblocker Clothes >

Question about Scentblocker Clothes

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about Scentblocker Clothes

Old 12-22-2003, 07:13 PM

Default Question about Scentblocker Clothes

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but have any of you used scent blocker clothing or scent cover ups? If so, have they helped in any way?

Old 12-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about Scentblocker Clothes

I wear mine especially when it is hot. I have the leafy variety with mesh and carbon inner suit. I didn't buy it big enough to wear when it is cold.

It seems to work as I have had many times when a deer is straight down wind or crosses my incoming path. I rarely get busted because of scent. Mine catches on bark though as I stand or move to draw.

I'm a believer.

Good huntin'!
LLBUX
Old 12-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Banned

A total and colassal waste of money.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:29 AM

If I am going to wear camo anyways I might as well wear scentblock camo unless the deer start laughing at me.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used scent lok for the past 3 years and I do believe they help. You still have to take all the scent precautions as before but yes they do work.

A total and colassal waste of money.
Not to argue. I would just like to know what made you come to this decision?
Old 12-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Scentloc suites help, but not enough to be worth the amount of money they cost. There is nothing anyone can do to make them "Scent Free". The only way this can be accomplished is if you are inside of a suit that recyles the very air you breath and it is only handled with some sort of scent free device to help you get into it and out. Scentloc suits do not let you not hunt the wind, you still have to hunt the wind. Heck I was watching a hunting show where the sponsor was ScentLoc and the hunter on the show said the deer spooked because it scented him and he was wearing the suit!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:57 AM

I own many suits(5 I think) partly because I live near where they make them and have got all of my suits from the company's sidewalk sale(or whatever they call it). One of those things where you have to know a guy that works there to hear about it. Guys start lining up at 6:00 for an 8:00 start time. Kind of goofy to think about it, but I got all my suits for $60-$75 for the whole suit. Tough to plunk down all the cash on a piece of clothing if paying retail. They ended this year for some reason. Dang!!

I have never hunted without them, so I guess I don't know what the flip side of it is, but I've never been busted down wind from any animal coming into me. Not even yotes, which probably will bust you before most deer will. Like Buck said, you still have to watch what you do with the rest of the scent on your body and your other clothes. But the remaining scent you can't get or create driving out to your land or the scent you create walking out to your stand, it will cover up or mask. There was a debate on the bowhunting forum about it and some guy had specifics and why it will work at first, but won't once the carbon pores get filled. I don't know exactly what the outcome was, but I won't hunt unless I can shower in descenting soap 1st and won't hunt unless I have my scentlok suit. But's that just me. Being that I don't have the opportunity to NOT hunt a stand because of a bad wind, I feel that it gives me that "little" edge to hunt a good stand even with a bad wind.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Banned

Buckeyebuckhntr, unless the clothing is encased in plastic since the time of manufacturing then it will be continually absorbing scent from the store. And once it's saturated with scent, you cannot reactivate it by merely throwing it in a dryer. So in essence you're new suit is useless before you even get it off the rack. Save your money. It's nothing but a gimmick designed to sucker people into buying them thinking they will get excellent scent control. Here's a link that will show you exactly why you are wasting your money on this http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/...cent_suits.hTM You know what's really funny about these suits. All the manufacturers say you just have to throw them in the dryer to reactivate them....a scientific impossibility. Just read the article. Of course the people who believe in this garbage will come along shortly and try to refute the scientific facts with their own theories based on nothing.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Good link White Raven.

I've worked with many types of activated carbon in my job as a research scientist and through my experiences have always been skeptical of the suits.
I have never seen a way to re-activate the carbon after use other than by extreme heat. Any PAC (Powdered Activated Carbon) or GAC (Granular Activated Carbon) I've ever used, and I've used alot of them, have been one time uses only. Without that extreme temp. exposure, they are useless. Like the link says, they are saturated and can't adsorb any more.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with WR and Cyrus on this one, the scientific data shows these suits can not possibly do what they are marketed to do. However if you feel more confident wearing one then I would say they are worth it to you, half the battle is in the head and if you win that battle with the suit on than more power to yeah. Just don't forget the only way to not be detected is don't get sniffed,so keep the wind in your favor regardless of the scentfree practices you employ. BTW, I have never used a scent block garment and practice scentfree elimination/control on the clothes I wear, I hunt with the wind on my nose or cheek no exception. That being said I have had numerous deer down wind not spook, so it happens without the suit too guys/gals, why I don't know for sure.

Quick Reply: Question about Scentblocker Clothes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.