Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do any of you do European mounts? >

Do any of you do European mounts?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do any of you do European mounts?

Old 12-22-2003, 10:44 AM

Default Do any of you do European mounts?

I noticed the post below concerning plaques...I had a shoulder mount done of my first big buck, but have since done Euro. mounts exclusively. I know it's all opinion, but they just look better to me, and I can easily do them myself.

Just curious if I'm all alone.....
Old 12-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do any of you do European mounts?

Your not alone, I really like them too. I Euro'ed my last antelope and love it, as I have the last few deer. But the next bruiser I get will probably be a normal mount
Old 12-22-2003, 03:12 PM

i have 3 euro mounts ,all 8 pointers . i had them done 1 they cost less and 2 they take up less room . the big 8 i shot this year im having a shoulder mount done . i would say i like both equally.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:15 PM

i have 3 euro mounts , i had them done because they take up less room and i have been told by the powers that be that i already have to many.the big 8 i shot this year im having a shoulder mount done on it.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have 3 euros done by myself.

But i do mine a little diffrent. I remove the nose plate you know the skinny flat one. Then I fill the nose cavity with poly fill. as well I fill in all the sinus cavities and any bone plate joints to make it all smooth. then depending on the look I want, I paint them with either flat or gloss white. I have a few pic's if anyone is interested.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:54 PM

i did my first euro mount a couple of weeks ago. it was easy and it turned out great. I'm not finished yet, but i got 2 weeks out of school so i'll be gettin it finished sometime soon and i'll post some pics. the antlers are still chromed out...i never took the foil off. I'm debatin whether or not to leave 'em that way
Old 12-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Spike

how do u do a euro mount?
Old 12-22-2003, 06:37 PM

when i did mine, i used these instructions:
http://www.southernvisuals.com/LeBou...kull_mount.htm
Old 12-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like euro's for a change rather than the cut skull mount on deer that just aren't shoulder mount material. I certainily wouldn't say I like them better than a shoulder mount but a good, cheaper alternative for sure.

takem, the euro mounts is a bit intensive but can easily be done as DIY project. You need to flesh out the skull first(this is remove the cape from the animals skull, do so with a knife and I find a flat head screw driver works well to pry the cape from the pedicle sites around the antlers. Once you have exposed the skull you snap the lower jaw off, I just place the lower jaw on the floor in my garage and push, it will snap back then you just twist or cut the connective tissue. I do the same with the neck socket. I then remove excess meat, eye sockets, roof of the mouth and cartlidge in the nose(a pair od needle nose pliers work well, just push and pull until the cartlidge is mostly gone). I take a 6" spike (but and arrow shaft works) to mush up the brain via the brain stem...don't worry if you don't get it all out yet! Then the cook phase, place on the bbq or camp stove a large pot with enough water to submerge the entire skull, bring and keep at a gentle boil for about 4-6 hours(rap horns in alum. foil to prevent bleeching of the antlers). I suggest doing it outside and not in your good cooking pots. The meat, hide, brain will cook and fall off/out. Once this is done let it dry for a day and bleech the skull to get a bone white appearance. Ensure the horns don't get into a bleech/water solution or if you do the dry bleech/peroxiode paste stlye keep it off the antlers. It usually takes a few hours of boiling in bleech water solution or a day in the paste solution to get the white appearance. The paste way you just wash off it after a day with a garden hose or similar. Finally let it air dry for a week and your done.

Like I said a bit of effort but it is a nice reward when finished and you'll enjoy it for many years.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:08 PM

I dont have anything other than my first deer on the wall, which i just horn mounted myself, but the euro mounts look cool and the regual shoulder mounts look cool as well, the euro mounts just change it up a bit and give it alittle more rustic look. imo

Quick Reply: Do any of you do European mounts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.