Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First deer... long story

Old 12-22-2003, 12:13 AM
Spike

Default First deer... long story

This was my first time deer hunting and went out by some family in Iowa. 1st weekend 2nd season (it was last weekend) - I missed on 2 does and a buck for the weekend. I was misjudging the distance and I was pretty bummed, but it was a great learning experience. The group of 10 guys got 13 total deer (10 bucks, 2 does & a button buck).

I wanted to redeem myself so I went back this weekend. I was out bright and early on Saturday morning and finally, around 9am, a lone 4 pt came in front of the stand at about 75 yds. Hit him right in the middle of the shoulder, didnt drop right away, made it about 50 yds or so to a fence, crawled under it and never got back up (I didnt know this for certain, but confirmed it later). Since the deer were moving in the area, I decided to sit tight and go get him a little later. We saw a lot of deer. At one point I counted a stream of 40 about 250 yards out, running through to the timber. The moment was rather anti-climactic, my uncle went out checking and trying to push some up and came upon my deer. He came right back to the stand to get me. It as quite a thrill to walk up to him and see him laying there. We dressed him out and got out around noon. I was damn proud of it, pretty big body... lots of meat! I could care less about the rack, you dont eat them anyways

On Sunday, the guys were all going back out around 2pm, so I decided to stick around and help them try to fill the remaining anterless tags... make a long story shorter... I was behind a tree and I could hear something coming thru the woods. I slowly turned and saw 2 nice big does about 30 yds away. They must have seen the movement and started to run, then they just stopped all of a sudden, I had a clear shot at one of them, so I took the shot and dropped her at about 30 yds. My heart was racing, and the adrenaline was definitely pumping. I waited a little bit until everyone started coming from the drive. She was a pretty nice sized doe.

I am still pretty psyched about the whole weekend, so I wanted to share my story. I feel pretty dang lucky to have gotten 2 deer my first year out. I don't have pictures yet, but will try to get them soon. I have learned a heck of a lot from the posts on the board and the time out with the family. I am definitely hooked and looking forward to lots of good meals!!! Thanks for listening and Happy Holidays to all of you.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Spike

Default RE: First deer... long story

Oh.. you just wait!! It gets even better!!
Old 12-22-2003, 05:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on 2 first, 1st buck and 1st doe!
Old 12-22-2003, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a good weekend. Congrats!
Old 12-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Congratulations on an exciting hunt!!! It's always great to be able to take your first buck and doe in the same season. I don't think that many of us can say that.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats...sounds like a great first season....and dont worry....it only gets better as was said...now your hooked.....congrats...good job!
Old 12-22-2003, 01:26 PM

ladies and gentlemen we have another ruined hunter that is hooked, good story
Old 12-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 12-23-2003, 10:22 AM
Spike

Got the pics back... Here is a pic w/ the buck.

Old 12-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Spike

Here is the doe.

Quick Reply: First deer... long story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.