Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hanging venison from antlers vs. hind Q >

Hanging venison from antlers vs. hind Q

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hanging venison from antlers vs. hind Q

Old 12-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hanging venison from antlers vs. hind Q

I got a nice buck last night that i might mount. To be safe, i was told not to hang the deer from the hingquarters as the blood will go to the head and make it more difficult to mount/cure/dry. Our cooler is at 40 degrees and we usually leave the venison hanging for a week to improve taste and tenderness. However, i was wondering if I am filling the entire rear hams with blood and ruining them. Instead of the blood running to the head, it is running to the hams, i guess.

Should i go back and remove the head and hand from rear? I left the head b/c when the meat is exposed, it gets dried out from the cooler, so leaving the head/skin attached is usually better.

regards.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:22 PM

Default RE: Hanging venison from antlers vs. hind Q

hang it any way you want, the deer is dead and feild dressed--there's not a whole lot of blood in it to go anywhere. i hang both ways and have never noticed a difference
Old 12-20-2003, 03:25 PM

i hang mine head down , you should have no problem either , if the head starts to look puffy ,its time to go to the taxidermist or you could skin him out and cut the head and cape off either way youll be safe.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:25 PM

I have read some articles that say if you plan to mount the deer, you should hang the deer from his hind quarters so that the neck doesn't get stretched out of proportion.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:36 PM

We've always hung them from the hind quarters. We ussually skin them right away though so it doesnt really matter.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't make any difference, just a matter of personal preference.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always hang from the hinds and skin immediately. This will allow the entire carcass to cool equally. If your worried about drying it out, wrap in a game bag or cheese cloth. Of course you could always just butcher it after 24 hours of hanging, all you need is for rigor to set in(takes about 6 hours) and the meat will be fully relaxed and GTG. I have been processing my own deer for years and rarely let it hang longer than 1-2 days, I have even hot de-boned and never had a problem with the meat quality.

As to the mounting it is much easier to remove the hide when it is fresh, especially if your fleshing the cape out. I would think hind hanging is better and like mentioned the amount of blood is minimal left in the deer.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang from the hind quarters and skin as soon as possible .
Old 12-21-2003, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to mount it, get the hide and head off as soon as you possibly can and either get it to your taxidermist, get it in your freezer or flesh it and salt it. Hanging even for a short time in a cooler can cause slippage of the hair which will mess up a mount or a skin to be tanned with hair on.
For more authoritive advice on handling trophys of any kind you can go to http://www.mckeniesp.com These people supply the taxidery industry with molds and other supplies and have a lot of good advice.