Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Spikes....do you kill them or let them walk? >

Spikes....do you kill them or let them walk?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spikes....do you kill them or let them walk?

Old 12-20-2003, 08:36 PM

Default RE: Spikes....do you kill them or let them walk?

it is illegal to kill them here
Old 12-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Only if they are wounded.. otherwise they live to see another day.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Let em walk. If you need the meat then shoot a nice doe. As for genetics, there have been studies saying there is no correlation between spikes and inferior racks in the future.

The part that stinks in Jersey is that I let em walk and then other guys shoot them during gun at my club--go figure.

Bob
Old 12-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of conjecture here from a lot of folks that have seen and done a lot of hunting. There is however a lot of research that has been done on this topic as well. In the North American Hunting Club book, "Whitetail Wisdom" the consensus is to take those spikes out of the herd as a matter of good QDM. Studies conducted in Texas and Louisiana back up the findings of hunters in the field. The primary factor in spikes is genetics, not diet although malnurished bucks in their early stages of development will be more prone to being spikes. Get the book, it is a good read.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:55 PM

I use to shoot them on a regular basis, now that I'm a little older and wiser (?) I let them walk for something bigger. I've alway's been under the assumption that the spikes were just young deer that will grow bigger if they survive.

If I'm down to the last day's of the season and I haven't put venison in the freezer I might still take one.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:53 PM

Opening morning let'em walk other than that...Lets Eat!
Old 12-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would rather shoot a big doe but would shoot a spike or two point in a pinch. Can't beat does for meat.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

Its a no brainer for me, here in PA spikes walk unless I want the fine. Here in my section of PA it is 3 points to a side to be legal. Before the antler restrictions though we wouldn't think twice of not taking a spike buck. If we didn't take it, the neighbors and locals would. Have a safe holiday everyone!
Old 12-21-2003, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Deer and Deer Hunting magazine ran an article with pictures a few years back. In it was an indepth series about spike bucks and included were some photos of pen raised bucks that grew to be super bucks when older.....I am talking monsters! I letem walk, I can take a doe for meat anytime.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:43 AM
jjt

they walk till the last day then if I am unsucessful with a larger deer they drop

Quick Reply: Spikes....do you kill them or let them walk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.