HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Does your state practice intensive harvest? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46412-does-your-state-practice-intensive-harvest.html)

buckmine 12-16-2003 09:01 AM

Does your state practice intensive harvest?

Just read an article in our states Outdoor News that the sale of Intensive permits doubled. Our state is trying to reduce the herd of deer by allowing more anterless permits. In some areas you could get up to 5 deer. This was unheard of 5 years ago.

What does your state allow for harvesting?

farmcntry 12-16-2003 09:10 AM

RE: Does your state practice intensive harvest?

If you apply for DMAP and qualify they set the limit on does. DMAP is Deer management assistance program. You must have a min. of 2,000 acres here to qualify. I know of 2 and I hunt one. The one I hunt gave us 75 extra doe tags this year.

Tazman 12-16-2003 09:22 AM

In Va. during gun season you could legally kill 3 bucks and 28 doe, if you through in black powder and bow you could kill 3 bucks and over 100 doe legally.

buckmine 12-16-2003 09:25 AM

For each doe does it cost you extra?

Here you have to pay either 8 or 12 dollars per doe.

farmcntry 12-16-2003 09:28 AM

Not on DMAP land.

PABowhntr 12-16-2003 09:33 AM

In PA you are given the opportunity to harvest a buck with the general hunting license. As for does, that is a bit more complicated. There are three "rounds" of doe tag applications that you can apply for in all of the state provided that there are still tags available in each WMU by that particular round. However, we also have special regulation areas around Philly and Pittsburgh in which you can literally buy unlimited tags.

Myself? I was lucky enough to get three doe tags in addition to the general license this year.

Stump_MN_Hunter 12-16-2003 10:03 AM

Buckmine....

Yes, the intensive harvest permits cost $12.50 per tag. Even though they changed quite a few regs this year....the whole state isn't an intensive harvest area. There are certain areas for that. If you hunt in the correct areas, the most a person could shoot is either 5 doe or 4 doe and 1 buck per year.

trophyhuntr 12-16-2003 10:06 AM

buy a big game hunting license in Ga, get 2 bucks and 10 does, although most only shoot two bucks and no does, to many deer, not enough does getting shot

Handles 12-16-2003 10:14 AM

In my area of WI (one of the CWD zones)you can take as many deer per day as you want as long as it is a doe, or you shoot a doe first, then a buck. I personally don't know anyone that has taken more than 2-3 doe and maybe 2 buck throughout the entire fall seasons (bow, gun, muzzleloader) but I'm sure there are a few guys that are taking more than their share of deer.
I heard about the increase in MN. The Bemidji area was one that allowed 5 deer per hunter. The mild winters the past 5 years has cut out winter kill.

timbercruiser 12-16-2003 06:36 PM

In Alabama you can legally shoot over 200 per year.