HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Tree stands on Public land (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46187-tree-stands-public-land.html)

slugman 12-14-2003 09:56 AM

Tree stands on Public land

Opinion time....So what do you guys think about a tree stand bulit on Public land ? Whoever gets there first gets the stand ? My dad and I debated this while walking thru the woods yesterday... and these would be permanent stands.

thundermug 12-14-2003 11:58 AM

RE: Tree stands on Public land

Here in Florida it is illegal to build a permanent stand on state land. If you get caught in one, wether you built it or not, you can get cited by the game warden, usually involves a hefty fine.

badshotbob 12-14-2003 11:59 AM

Not legal here in MI.

Two Beards 12-14-2003 01:19 PM

Not legal here in Iowa either. I can't imagine any
state allowing the building of permanent stands
on public ground.

Bob1961 12-14-2003 01:24 PM

not legal anywhere i think....don't do it, or call your local game dept...............bob

Aught Six 12-14-2003 04:47 PM

Permanent stands are also illegal on public land here in Virginia. I prefer portable stands anyway because of their increased mobility.

buckmine 12-14-2003 07:28 PM

In Minnesota they recently outlawed it. People were using ATV's to bring in there wood and building elaborate stands. In the past you could build a simple platform and it was first come first serve.

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-15-2003 05:35 AM

SLUGMAN,
I SEE YOUR FROM NJ, SO AM I. IF YOU COME TO OR BUILD A STAND ON ANY PUBLIC GROUNDS IN NJ YOU WILL BE BREAKING THE LAW. IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE WALKING AROUND THE WOODS, COME TO A TREESTAND THATS BUILT, AND START HUNTING FROM IT, AND A GAME WARDEN, OR ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (me included) YOU CAN BE FINED. NJ PLAYS NO GAMES. MATTER OF FACT, ON OPENING DAY OF THE 6 DAY SHOTGUN DEER SEASON, MY FRIEND SEAN TOOK A 6 POINTER, I WAS AT MY TRUCK JUST AT DARK AND LOADING MY GEAR ONTO MY TRUCK, SEAN WAS AT THE EDGE OF THE ROAD, WITH HIS DEER, 2 GAME WARDENS PULLED UP, CHECKED THE DEER, THEN ASKED FOR HIS "NJ PURCHASE PERMIT" HE HAS ONE, BUT HE DIDN'T HAVE IT ON HIM, WELL IN NJ THATS A 3rd DEGREE CRIME. I RAN OVER SHOWED THE OFFICERS MY ID, AND WITH ME BEING A COP, THEY LET HIM GO. WHAT I'M SAYING IS READ THE LAWS OF THIS STATE, THEY ARE TOUGH!!

KoBear 12-15-2003 05:42 AM

bow hunter cop: whats a "NJ PURCHASE PERMIT"????? definitely illegal in NJ to hunt outta a permanent stand here in NJ on public land.

slugman 12-15-2003 06:49 AM

while hunting this week I saw at least 10 permanent stands in the woods in south jersey .....if they are not allowed why doesnt the state take them down ?

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-15-2003 08:40 AM

"NJ PUCHASE PERMIT".......IT'S YOUR ID CARD THAT ALLOWS YOU TO PUCHASE LONG GUNS......SHOTGUNS, RIFLES, MUZZLELOADERS. YOU MUST UNDER NJ STATE LAW, HAVE THIS CARD WITH YOU WHILE IN THE FIELD HUNTING WITH A FIREARM. YOU WON'T FIND THE LAW IN THE "NJ FISH & GAME CODES" BOOKLET, BUT IT'S A LAW

E.P. Scott 12-19-2003 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

"NJ PUCHASE PERMIT".......IT'S YOUR ID CARD THAT ALLOWS YOU TO PUCHASE LONG GUNS......SHOTGUNS, RIFLES, MUZZLELOADERS. YOU MUST UNDER NJ STATE LAW, HAVE THIS CARD WITH YOU WHILE IN THE FIELD HUNTING WITH A FIREARM. YOU WON'T FIND THE LAW IN THE "NJ FISH & GAME CODES" BOOKLET, BUT IT'S A LAW

Stop yelling please.

:D

Also, please reference the law which states this as well as the code which states that you can not build a permanent tree stand on public hunting ground in NJ.

I think you'll find that you are in error.

Do children have to attain a firearms purchaser card to hunt on youth day?:D

NEB.BuckHunter 12-19-2003 08:05 AM

Here in Nebraska, you cannot erect permanent structures/stands on public land. You can, however, use portable ladders and stands in trees, etc.

PABowhntr 12-19-2003 08:11 AM

Definitely illegal here in PA..in fact, I have run into more than one game warden who has been overheard instructing another hunter to tear it down if he finds one.

Theoretically speaking though, first come-first serve would be my stance. Would it, again theoretically, be any different than a tree that you planned to put a portable stand in...or a fishing hole on opening day of trout season?