Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Missed a nice buck

Old 12-08-2003, 06:03 PM

Default Missed a nice buck

Well second season for shotgun in Illinois is over and I'm deer less this year. I did have a chance for a nice buck though. Yesterday evening sun was dropping and shooting time was ending. Then I saw this buck running across a field at 75yds. So I figured what the heck and tried to get him running since time was running out for me. Well all three shots didn't seem to connect he then ran into a wooded creek and lost sight of him for about 5 sec. I should have reloaded but OH NOOO instead I watch this area where I seen him run into not knowing if I hit him or not. Then he reappears out of the thicket trotting towards ME! I sramble to load my gun and only load one shell. He hears the reciever shut and stops looking right at me about 60yds. I raise my gun take aim and just then he bolts I fire and miss (at least I think I did no sign of blood anywhere). I keep thinking to myself if I had only reloaded right away I would have had more time to aim. He was about a 8-10 pointer with a nice spread. I'm SOOOOO disguisted it's not even funny. Anyway just had to vent I think I'm going to go puke now. [:@][:'(] Later Joel
Old 12-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Missed a nice buck

Lesson learned: if you can't shoot a running deer, don' try. Did you check your backstop along the deer's path before you opened up on him?
Old 12-08-2003, 08:06 PM

i also missed a nice buck, i made a huge mistake of shooting at him while he was bedding down, i guess i got excited and wasent thinking. lesson learned. ive missed quite a few running deer, but i hit a doe running this year. i hit one a few years ago and it didnt die. i have been working on running shots and reading about them quite a bit. they are not an easy task.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:09 PM

oh, i forgot, i threw up twice after that. i was sick. i eventually got a smaller buck and was happy, but the one i missed was big. Mr. Nasty big.