Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting stands or ground?

Old 12-03-2003, 02:06 PM

Default Hunting stands or ground?

I was just wondering how many people rifle/slug hunt in tree stands? I hunt on the ground with sticks & leaves in front of me. I would trade it for the world. How many people hunt on the ground & wish to hunt in the air?? Just wondering.

Tim
Old 12-03-2003, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Hunting stands or ground?

I hunt on the ground using a rifle,well that goes for a bow also. I've been wanting to purchase a stand to hunt in the air, whether it be a climber or fixed not sure which one to use.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I prefer tree stands. They get you up off of the ground so the deer can't pick up your scent as easily (notice I say "as easily"; you still need to watch your wind and scent control), plus your range of vision is a lot more, particularly in the woods or on low ground. Not to mention that deer usually aren't too wary of the world above them. They tend to expect threats on the ground, not in the air.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

your range of vision is a lot more, particularly in the woods or on low ground.
This is true. I hunt on the ground for 3 simple reasons.

1. I hunt on a hill where there is a field above. DONT want to be even with the field!!!
2. I dont have much range of sight to begin with. So tree stand would help me see the same thing as usual.
3. I hunt on PA Game lands! I dont like the idea of hanging a stand the night before & taking it down when i am done. So when i get on my uncle's land next year for my first ever Archery Hunt i will have my stand. Either way, its fun times.

Tim
Old 12-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never killed a deer on the ground. Of course, I've been hunting 24 years in the trees, so that probably explains that. Love the trees. Hate the ground. It was a happy day when they passed hunting from tree stands during fire arm season a few years back here in MI.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:30 PM

We hunt Crown land and we hunt in different spots depending on where we see sign while dogging so we hunt from the ground.

I wouldn't mind giving a stand a try when I finally get into archery (hopefully next year) but I haven't seen to many stands that'll hold my weight and it would have to be a climber so it wouldn't get stolen like a permanent one would.

Crawdaddy
Old 12-03-2003, 03:34 PM

A good ground blind is all you need. The two person camo pop up blinds are like $80...
Old 12-03-2003, 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

I prefer tree stands. They get you up off of the ground so the deer can't pick up your scent as easily (notice I say "as easily"; you still need to watch your wind and scent control), plus your range of vision is a lot more, particularly in the woods or on low ground. Not to mention that deer usually aren't too wary of the world above them. They tend to expect threats on the ground, not in the air.
I 2nd this.......Times that i have been on the ground deer can pick up movement better and scent than when you are up and out of there direct line of sight...
Old 12-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt strictly tree stands during bowseason. Mainly because they are set and ready to go from the scouting before the season starts and the deer are going to keep doing what they have been leading up to bowseason. Gun season on the other hand I find myself doing a lot of ground hunting or still hunting. Adapt when they adapt. I'm a big fan of hunting with natural cover. You can create some really cool ground blinds and good ambush spots.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:45 PM

I hunt both. Reasons vary but the climber has more advantages over the ground. Mostly use the climber when I'm familiar with an area and deer patterns. I have an old dove bucket(not with the swivel top) that slings over my shouder and is lightweight that I use alot of times when ground/still hunting. As I move around and find a place I want to sit for a while it comes in mighty handy. I don't like sitting directly on the ground because of the bugs and I might get my pants dirty! Just kidding!!!!! Actually I find it easier to reposition myself for a shot with less movement than if I was sitting on the ground. Also find it more comfortable and can sit for hours without shifting around. As a added bonus the bucket holds a lot of stuff as needed. I always keep 2 pieces of camo net in it to use as blind material if necassary, also handy for additional clothing or rain gear.
The majority of the deer I have killed has been in the climber. I use the API Shooting Star and when fitted to the tree correctly it is extremely comfortable, I have pulled my share of 11 hour days in it waiting for "ol mossy. There is also a safety factor when using a climber on public land that is crowded. Either way, it's all goooooood!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Hunting stands or ground?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.