Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sad Story

Old 12-02-2003, 07:03 PM

Default Sad Story

WELL, I GOT A DOE, BUT IT WAS SAD SHE CAME OFF A RIDGE I ASKED MY DAD IF I SHOULD TAKE HER HE GAVE ME THE GO-AHEAD I PUT IT BEHIND THE SHOULDER STARTED TO SQUEEZE THR TRIGGER THEN THE .270 FIRED AND SHE JUMPED IMMEDIATELY SO IT HIT HER IN THE GUT SHE RUNS DOWN THEN BEDS 10 YDS AWAY IN PAIN WE WAITED A MINUTE THEN I FINISHED HER OFF WITH A DOUBLE LUNG HIT. SEEING THAT DEER SUFFER ALMOST MADE CRY ON THE SPOT BUT I DIDNT I MADE SURE I THANKED HER FOR HER LIFE AND APOLOGIZED FOR THE PAIN SHE WENT THROUGH I CRIED THAT NIHT BEFORE I WENT TO BED I GEUSS EXPERIENCES LIKE THAT MAKE YOU A BETTER HUNTER ALL I KNOW IS THAT ILL NEVER STO HUNTING I LOVE IT ITS A PART OF ME
Old 12-02-2003, 07:05 PM

Default RE: Sad Story

keep ur head up.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've cried, too 410. I've cried, too. Not a thing wrong with it.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 12-02-2003, 07:11 PM

like who_else sad keep your head up. Sometimes you will make those shots. Alot of times you want to make the kill shot. Dont put them through pain, but it isnt always perfect. Sorry you had to experience that. i've cried a couple times too. It takes a bigger man to cry than to be proud he shot a deer no matter how he did. Good luck in the future.

Tim
Old 12-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

i cried a few times....one year my scope was broke and we had no idea...needless to say i wounded 2 deer that year and lost them both....i was done deer hunting...gave my scope to my dad for a slug gun he was seting up...the guy that was mounting it always checks them..sure enough this one failed horribly....when you adjusted the powers the freakin crosshairs moved.....i saved up for a leupold all summer and havent messed up with that gun yet....this year i shot one with my smoke pole...and it was pretty dark in the forest i was in even though it was sunny out...the canopy is very thick and the limbs are dark and were near invisible...i shot and she ran off...very very little blood....on my hands and knees all i could find was pin drops....i cried right there on a stump when i knew i lost her.....i looked for 2 days....nothing...never found her small game hunting or smelled her either....it was warm she would smelled.....i think she made it.....i didnt push her either....i lost the blood in the thicket when she did a circle...i have no idea what way she went...i felt horrible.....that one was actually my fault....now i learned to inspect the shoting lanes before the hunt.....keep your head up....you did the right thing and finished her off cleanly.....she was in so much shock she didnt feel a thing....just try to make a clean shot.....thats all anyone can do....things happen....just try not to let them happen alot and everythings fine......congrats on the deer.....you did a good job! smile!! be proud!
Old 12-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's tough when the negative emotion hits you that hard, 410ER. I hate to see animals suffer; it makes me sick. I take animals' pain harder than humans' because unlike us, critters can't do anything to stop it. I greatly respect their lives and humbly accept my status on the food chain. I just need to practice hard and hunt harder to make a good, clean shot on a deer. We owe them that much, and that's all we can really do.

You could never predict with certainty that your doe would've jumped wildly like she did. You made the proper decision and course of action by providing a second kill shot. Hang in there, keep practicing and scouting, and maintain your hunting spirit.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

410er, thats normal for a hunter to feel like you have felt, Just think though, she did'nt suffer near as much as if she would have if she would have been ham-stung by a pack of wolves,and eating while still alive. Hunting and killing game is not near as cruel as nature is sometimes.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:14 PM

I have to agree-been there too-not an easy thing to deal with,but like already said before me-keep your chin up!!
Old 12-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

410er, consider yourself normal. None of us likes it when a shot goes awry, but it does happen. As a hunting guide, I see it all the time that bad shots are taken. That is a whole differant thing though, yours was not neccessarily a bad shot.
Keep your head up and keep hunting and always take practice shots before hunting to be sure your sights are aligned.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:45 PM

I shot a really nice 11 point the day after Thanksgiving and when I got down to him, I found that he had a pretty severe puncture wound in his neck that was infected, more than likely from fighting. I think that ultimately he would have died as a result of this, and no doubt gone through a tremendous amount of suffering, so I almost feel like I did him a favor. Don't let that get you down, man. That kind of stuff is going to happen, but nature has its reasons for things happening like they do. I have sometimes thought about hunting, and felt bad for taking the animals that I have taken(which haven't been many), but if it weren't for us hunters, the game animals would more than likely become over-populated and die from starvation or disease.

Quick Reply: Sad Story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.