Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting times and ethics

Old 12-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting times and ethics

When I was younger and my eyes were in better condition I could have taken advantage of only a few precious minutes that would have been outside the "recommended" shooting hours. I hunt almost exclusively in thick cedar swamps where light is at a premium all the time. I find now that if it is even a little overcast I pack up and leave even BEFORE the the alloted time to leave....same goes for the morning hunt...I ususally can't shoot ethically (because of my older eyes) until about 10 minutes after the prescribed time after legal morning shooting hours. For me it is not an issue. I think one time when I was 21 yrs old I shot a buck about 5 minutes after the prescribed evening stopping time. However I could see him clearly, knew what was beyond... and could make the shot with ease. I was illegal by the law. It was a good shot that I would take again.....if my eyes were 21 yrs old!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:16 AM

We've got from 1/2hr before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset then the gun has to be cased. Unless I'm on the hydro line its usually dark enough that its hard to see anything at that time so a chance for a shot would be low. Hard to say what I do as I haven't seen one of our CO's during the hunt in 15yrs.

Crawdaddy
Old 12-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I set the alarm on my watch for the last legal minute , then out of the woods . I had to back off from a shot once because of this , it was not legal anymore .
Old 12-03-2003, 11:18 AM

I havn't had the oppertunity to shoot before or after legal times. But id I had a good shot I probably would, Nothing questionable.

It probably depends where you are set up too. If you have a snow covered ground across a field, you'll probably be able to see in low light conditions a lot better than in a dark woods filled with weeds and brush.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:23 AM

So outside of Kevin and one other, the rest of you would break the law. One could say the only difference between you and a poacher is an hour? Who is the law for?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:26 AM

I don't wear a watch in the stand; I stay in my stand until its too dark to see. If I can clearly see my target I will take the shot.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 10 years ago, I shot a coyote about 15 minutes after shooting time one evening and within 5 minutes had a darn helicopter hovering over my head with a very bright spotlight. I showed them the coyote and they went on their way. They could have got me for the coyote but I guess they figured it wasn't worth it. After that experience, I carry a watch and know the legal hunting times.
Now, it's not a problem, I can barely see to shoot in the legally alloted time, another reason for you guys to wear your orange.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:06 PM

So outside of Kevin and one other, the rest of you would break the law. One could say the only difference between you and a poacher is an hour? Who is the law for?

great point mike! what is the difference between 10 minutes after legal time and and 1am? THERE ISNT A DIFFERENCE! if you shoot after legal time or befoer legal time, its poaching. simple as that. all you preachers talking about "ethics" and is this "ethical" and im not "unethical" (im so tired of hearing that term) like a buch of little girls that learned a new word....... makes me sick!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a tritium pin on my bow which quite nicely follows shooting light almost to the minute (for my eyes anyway). When I can't see the pin, it's over.

I will admit, I killed a huge doe after legal shooting light (by about 10 minutes) many years ago but got a bad shot on her. I did find her the next day, but don't like the guilt associated with breaking the law. Won't do that again, gun or bow.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

very well put eastwood. i am soooooooooooo tired of this "ehtical" vs. "non-ethical" sh*t

Quick Reply: Shooting times and ethics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.