Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Killed 1st Buck!!

Old 12-01-2003, 11:44 PM

Default Killed 1st Buck!!

I just started deer hunting this season. I' ve been lurking around here for a few months and I' ve really learned alot. I woke up last Wed. mornin and headed out to my girlfriends lease in Marion County, TX(and yes, I have a gf that deer hunts!) We got there before sunrise and headed out to a stand where they have been supposedly been seeing lots of deer. I sat around in the stand perfectly quite for about 2 hours when all of the sudden I see a doe at the top of this hill about 50 yards off. She stayed there for about 5 minutes feeding, then went back over the other side of hill where I couldn' t see her. I waited in the stand for about 20 minutes, and then decided that I would slowly walk up to the top of the hill to see if I could see her. I started up the hill very slowly making little, if any noise. As soon as my head came over the top of the hill she ran about 10 yards right in front of me and bolted off for the woods. As soon as she past me a buck comes running right behind her. He ran right in front of me and got about 25 yards away from me when I said " Hey!!" he froze up right there and stared at me, I quickly took aim and shot. I shot him with my 30-30 right behind the front shoulder at the bottom of the backbone, he fell over right there and died!!! I was amazed at what had just happened!!! I couldn' t believe it!!! I walked up to him to see how many points he was, turns out he was just a 3 pointer. I got really excited when I saw the antlers and decided to shoot. I felt bad at first for taking a 3 point, but my gf' s grandpa told me not to feel bad, his first deer was just a button buck. I don' t think I' ll ever shoot a small buck like that again. Anyways, since he was a youngin and shot just right, the meat is GREAT!! I' ve been grillin good #$@ deer steaks for the last few days(never had a deer steak in my life till last Sat.) Also, is it true that the older a deer gets, the worse the meat gets as far as toughness and taste? Thx,
Kev
Old 12-02-2003, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Killed 1st Buck!!

Congrats on the first buck BassNBucks, nothing to be ashamed of killing a 3 point as your first deer, they make a lot better eating than a big old 8 pointer.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

congrats on your first buck
Dan
Old 12-02-2003, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright congrats on your first
Old 12-02-2003, 07:55 AM

Good goin BassNBucks! Sounds like you snuck up on a young buck lookin for a little lovin. Those steaks are making my mouth water. Remember, many hunters go through a progression, doe, young buck, nice buck, trophy buck. Glad you had Annie Oakley with you. She' s hooked for life on her man, provider and hunting partner. As they say in the hood, " she be cool" .
Old 12-02-2003, 11:16 AM

Nothing in the world wrong with taking any legal deer. You should be proud as the first is always the best.

Enjoy every bite!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the addicting world of harvesting deer. Congratulations!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats! Welcome to hunting!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:16 PM

This sport is better than anything enjoy it
Old 12-02-2003, 12:41 PM

BNB,
Congrats on your deer. I hope that your hooked on it. It really sounds like it to me.

That is really cool.