Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dumb female question......

Old 12-01-2003, 09:45 AM

Default Dumb female question......

Hi everyone,

I don' t know much about hunting and I think my dad and uncle are pulling my leg on this question so I thought I would ask the experts.

Here it goes: When you are hunting a deer in an open feild do you lead the deer in order to have a clean shot? We are shoting a 300 ultra mag, 3400 ft/sec, and the deer is about a 100 yards away.

I am saying I would not shoot a running deer because I am not that good of a shot.

Help me out here.

tlc
Old 12-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dumb female question......

Ifferd said it best.....You shouldn' t shoot period.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

With a rifle at that distance I would swing on the front shoulder, I am not saying neccessarly a true lead like you do with bird hunting, but you do want to be " swinging" your gun with the deer. Now to be honest, I would not take a shot at a deer running flat out at 100 yards with a rifle, now if the deer was 40 yards or less that is a different story.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Taz has it, following through on moving targets are important, a common mistake is to stop following through as soon as you pull the trigger causing the shot to hit further back than intended and yes if moving even with a rifle you should allow some room for the bullet to get their how much depends on distance and speed of the target.

Now determining if you should take that shot depends on your ability and knowning your limitations, which is something only you can determine or decide.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with those that say you should at least have a good follow through if you are going to have a chance to hit the deer. I think that you would have to lead the deer a little, especially if it is running fast. However to me, the best shot on a running deer is no shot at all! A running shot is just too iffy for all but the best shooters. You would be better off waiting for another chance at a still deer.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Taz and the guys are right, but if you don' t practice that shot, don' t take it. You' ll feel like crap when you blow a leg off or like a guy I knew that took a running shot and blew the deers nose off. It ain' t worth it.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:17 PM

I have to agree with the rest, follow through when you shoot. yuor best bet would to wait for a still shot. all up to your abillity. Good luck!!
Old 12-01-2003, 03:33 PM

I wouldn' t shoot, I don' t practice moving shots with my rifle so I don' t shoot at moving deer. I happened on to a fellow who had just shot at a moving buck and shot his hind leg off, it was a terrible sight I felt like throwing that fellas gun in the river.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with everyone else. when it comes down to it, only take the shot if your comfortable.
practice shooting at moving objects by putting a target inside of a tire and having a buddy roll it for you to shoot at.

and remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer!!

Quick Reply: Dumb female question......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.