Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

kids and hunting

Old 11-28-2003, 04:51 PM

Default kids and hunting

I have a 15 year old kid that started to hunt 2 years ago. he has lost interest in hunting. He like to go to the club and ride around and put out corn and all. I cant figure out why he wont go sit. I ask him and he says he just gets bored. He will sit if he sees deer, but doesnt like sitting for the hour til the deer come out. What can i do to get him to sit.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:58 PM

Default RE: kids and hunting

start slow and for only a little time.take him small game hunting so the action will be a little faster.maybe he will get to the longterm later. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:01 PM

see he has dove and duck hunted for a long time but he just like to plant and corn up places rather than hunt them i wish there was a way to keep him occupied while in the stand. I first thought he might be a little afraid b/c he is in the middle of the woods by him self. Have yall ever felt like this what did yall do.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:01 PM

tree climber has the right idea of taking him small game hunting. A more mature hunter can enjoy a long sit whether deer are seen or not, but a younger hunter might like a little more action. Then again, hunting isn' t for everyone.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Think back to when you were 15. What is really kicking in hard at that age? TESTOSTERONE! The kid is growing up with countless of things going through his mind from school pressure to wondering when he will get to tag his first doe if you get my drift. Don' t pressure him. He' ll pull out of it. You' ve instilled the hunting nature in this boy, more than likely he won' t walk away from that. I may be completely wrong on this, but JMO.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:38 PM

will, don' t try to force the issue. One of the biggest thrills of my life was to see my son kill his first deer when he was 11 years old. He too lost interest in hunting, and I hated to see that because I wanted him as my hunting partner so bad. His main interest was and is baseball, which I happen to love also. He is in his 5th and final year of college baseball now, and I am very proud of him. I believe that if you try to force something on someone, no matter how bad you want it, it may cause him to not like it. Hopefully when the time is right, my son and your son will learn to enjoy the sport that you and I love and will be our hunting partners for life. Just my .02 cents worth.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:34 PM

thanks guys
Old 11-28-2003, 08:51 PM

to add on....... I really think he likes deer hunting..... i know he likes dove and duck b/c he eat sleeps and dreams that. But see the think i dont understand is he will go out to the club and sit and talk to people but when i ask if he is going to sit tonight he says naaaa. The only thing i think is that he might be a little afraid of being in the woods.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:05 PM

might be like that just go slow and dont force....he learn to love going to the woods......I took my 5 year old out yesterday, and he did great... we even got a deer...
Old 11-29-2003, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started taking my oldest boy hunting when he was 8. He accompanied me every year spring turkey hunting and some deer hunts. He actually started hunting with a bow at age 13 and shot a P&Y buck the next year for his first! He continued to hunt, but became tired of getting out of bed so early and then the testosterone kicked in. Now it' s his girlfriend, music and college. Hopefully he' ll get the bug again eventually. Fortunately, my youngest has an interest in hunting and will be going out again with me later today for opening day afternoon (I have to work for the opening morning[:@][:' (]).

Quick Reply: kids and hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.