Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

kids and hunting

Old 11-29-2003, 05:40 AM

Default RE: kids and hunting

ORIGINAL: badshotbob
Think back to when you were 15. What is really kicking in hard at that age? TESTOSTERONE!.
I am 32 and it is still kickin' hard!

My son is three now so the only reference if have is what I did when I was younger. I lost interest in it for a while and didn' t really hunt at all for a few years. But as time grew on and my desire to hang out with my dad grew stronger (that was about the time that I realized that I didn' t know everything) I found that the best way to rebuild a relationship with him was on a deerstand.

BTW, It can get a little spooky in the trees when you are fifteen and alone. The best way to truly find out is to either invite him to sit on a stand with you or just make mention that sometimes it gets a little spooky out there and see what he says.

Good Luck to you.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:28 AM

thanks guys if there is anymore keep them coming
Old 11-29-2003, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

i' m going to be 17 on monday and although a girl, i went through the same thing... when hormones started bubbling over i couldn' t sit still to save my life... badshotbob basically hit it on the head about pressure especially if his peers don' t hunt... plus you gotta make yourself look good to the opposite sex... it took me a while to learn how to come home from 5 hours of hunting in rain/ snow/ heat what have you and still look presentable to go into town and get a drink... plus a lot of girls look down on hunting and see it as something only a big hulking baffoon would do and they want guys to clean up... he' ll get over it once he learns to control things... i know i did and many of my guy friends
Old 11-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Another thing to consider with boredom is to bring a book (if he is a reader) or a small SILENT computer game into the stand/blind with him. That way he can hunt and also relieve his boredom while in the stand.

Another thing to try is ask him is he wants to hunt next to you. That is an awesome bonding experience, to be able to hunt with your dad.

Matt
Old 11-29-2003, 10:21 AM

all in due time,things just might very well change when changes start to mellow down a little bit. when i was 15 i really never lost intrest in hunting it kind of just stuck, BUT friends and other extra activities were not easy to get over eigther, then when time came around for hunting season everything else went on hold. I watched school friends that once liked the whole hunting idea, just about forgett what it was all about. Now 15 years later most of them have gotten bk into the sport. my two older sons 9-7 want to go but when its time to get out 9 x out of 10 the weather does them before too long, they stay in tuned for about a couple hours then there done, then we come home. srry this goes on an d on. I just keep hoping that before long they can withstand it for longer time spand--its a great feeling to have them out there with me --
Old 11-30-2003, 08:07 PM

im 16 and all I want to do is be out in the woods away from everything. My granpa who died well before I was born owned the land and camp that my dad now owns, and growing up my dad hunted there too. I started going hunting around maybe age 7-9 and have gone to deer camp ever since. I had seen my dad shoot partridge and everything before that though. We go in there all through the year and my dads always telling me stories of times a camp and places where my grandpa shot deer 30-40 years ago. So for me, its kind of like history and enjoying the things my grandpa and dad have enjoyed and just imagining living int he old days and being amazed by the thrill of the hunt. Theres no place I' d rather be than in the woods hunting with me dad and friends, not girls, other friends or games or movies or anything like that. I dont know, im just thrilled by the whole old time, being in nature on the land. I guess I cant explain it, but do you guys understand?
Old 11-30-2003, 11:51 PM

i wouldn' t force the issue. I think a lot have said about the age deal and that prolly has a lot to do with it....also....it might be he is affraid of the woods. I' m 19...and I' ve been going with my father and uncle for years and I' m still not comfortable about going alone. I sit alone....and just this year i' ve started to go by myself and I love it. Get away from the hustle bustle of life. It' s great. Well good luck.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Willbjew ,
try teaching him spot and stalk or still hunting for small game like tree rats , then graduate him to doing it for deer . It' s hard to be bored and moving quietly at the same time , and it will increase his shot opportunities as well .
Old 12-01-2003, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

DaveH Bingo! you hit the nail on the head. I was an avid hunter. Still am. I do however remember a few years in that age range where the four legged deer took a back seat to the other kind of DEAR. Now my wife and I hunt toghether all the time. Best of both worlds. Give him time. He will revisit the hunting later.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: kids and hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.