Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Never stop looking for that Deer!!!! >

Never stop looking for that Deer!!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Never stop looking for that Deer!!!!

Old 11-27-2003, 10:50 PM

Default Never stop looking for that Deer!!!!

I have been reading this board for a while, and just registered so this is my first post.

Shot a deer last Sunday evening around 5:20 pm (within 5 minutes of legal limit time). I was really confused if I hit the buck or not as he didn' t drop. Shot was from about 50 yards broadside, but was extremely hard to see thru the cheap piece of crap scope I had on my trusty Marlin 30-30. Normally I would have waited for a while before getting up and looking, but I had to be somewhere at 6:00 that evening. I searched the area of the shot with a flashlight, and found nothing. No blood, no hair, nothing. So now I' m thinking I just flat out missed, or did I? I searched around the area for a little while looking for body, but never saw anything.

Monday morning I loaded up and hit the woods to take another look. I just wanted to make sure I did indeed miss. It was cold overnight with a freeze having come in, so I new the meat was okay if I were to find anything. I went back to where I shot the buck, looked thoroughly in the area (hardwood bottom), and nothing. I new the direction he ran after I shot, so I starting zigzagging the exit route. About 100 yards from where I shot a few droppings of blood. I marked the spot, walked about 10 yards, and more blood. Then, nothing.....looked and looked. Called my brother in to help me search for the lost blood trail. He was in the area and arrived quickly. We both looked for about another hour. We had all but given up on the blood trail and branched out to search for the deer. The blood trail was heading up hill, and just didn' t seem right. With my brother searching the uphill area, I veered towards the creek to see if I could find any blood where he may have crossed. I walked about 30 yards down the creek bank, and bingo!! There he was lying right next to a fallen tree with its head stuck under one of the big limbs. Pure luck I found that small blood trail. The deer was gut shot and had backtracked towards the creek. The funny thing is, when I walked out that evening he was only about 40 yards to the right of my trail.

Always go back and take a look if you even remotely think you hit the target!!!!

Here' s a pic......and this is my first " official deer kill" !! Not a big one by any means with a small 6 point rack, but I' ll take it!!!! Tasted mighty fine......
P.S.: After that gut shot incident with that scope, I immediated replaced it with a better quality scope on Tuesday!!

Old 11-28-2003, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Never stop looking for that Deer!!!!

Congrats on the first deer .
Old 11-28-2003, 03:32 AM

Way to go Ground-Hunter..nice deer......so tell me...where do you hunt that you are allowed to discharge a firearm on Sunday....that' s highly illegal around here!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 11-28-2003, 03:45 AM

congrats. on a fine job of trailing and not giving up.
" You Done Did Good"
Old 11-28-2003, 04:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on your first deer and also a big salute to following up on the shot and recovering your deer. The best thing of all is you learned from this and took action on it by upgrading your scope.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to hang in there and congrats on your first
Old 11-28-2003, 07:24 AM

Congrats on your first deer, and finally finding him.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your buck, Groundhunter! Also a pat on the back for the extra effort that you put in to find him. Too many people would just assume they missed and given up. Last season my buddy and I tracked a deer he shot, after losing the trail, we picked it up again the next morning and recovered the deer. In cool weather the meat was still very good. Again, congrats!
Old 11-28-2003, 08:01 AM

Congratulations on tracking the deer until the end. We had a 170-class deer on the property we hunt that was shot by a guy who was a friend of the owner. The deer came in about 15 yards on his tree stand and he said he made a good shot with his crossbow. He saw the deer run into the large field and thought he saw it lay down. He waited for 20 minutes and started searching the field. Long story short, he looks for another hour or two and throws up his hands and says it' s time for the OSU-Michigan game and takes off. I didn' t hear about it until two days later. One or two hours and not calling up anybody to help you grid the deer out. I' m sure we will find this magnificent animal, or what' s left of him, when we still hunt the field during the middle of the day on first day of shotgun season. Needless to say, if I can help it, this guy will not be hunting on the property ever again.
Oh, BTW, forgot to tell you that my friend pull a 4" chunk of arrow out his recurve 10-point this year from the same crossbow. But that' s another story.

Anyways, thank you very much for sticking with it.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:09 AM

Thanks folks!!!!!!

Brampton Mike: I hunt in central Mississippi and we have no Sunday restrictions.

Quick Reply: Never stop looking for that Deer!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.