Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What' s the weirdest thing you have ever seen while hunting in the woods? >

What' s the weirdest thing you have ever seen while hunting in the woods?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What' s the weirdest thing you have ever seen while hunting in the woods?

Old 11-27-2003, 09:46 PM

Default RE: What' s the weirdest thing you have ever seen while hunting in the woods?

Weirdest was definitely was when I was turkey hunting. They were calling for rain, but what came through was a massive thunderstorm. Trees were bending over, limbs flying off. I was in a strip of power lines in the middle of the forested area I was hunting and had no better idea than to huddle down in a depressed area between two power lines, hoping that both were grounded enough to pull the lightning away from me. Anyways, ten minutes into the storm, a doe walks out of the woods to the side of me. Comes accross the power lines about 10 yards in front of me, stops, looks over at me like nothing was going on, and continued on her way. I will never forget the image of her standing there still with the wind blowing so strong I could not even stand up, and to her it was just another " day in the life" .
Old 11-28-2003, 03:20 PM

Default RE: What' s the weirdest thing you have ever seen while hunting in the woods?

How about a dead body in a suitcase! Do I win? It will be a year ago this saturday. My cousin was scouting for the opener, when he saw a suitcase laying off the road, down in a ditch. He tried to move it and got all freaked out by how it felt. He came got me and we both went back to open it. I opened it and inside was a dead 20-25 year old man stuffed in there. The first thing I saw was the hair on top of his head, I thought it was a dead deer at first. Then I saw his face. We called the cops and to this day they don' t know who he was. Illegal immigrant they think. Died of alcohol and heroine. It was on the front page of the local paper. What an experience!
Old 11-28-2003, 05:17 PM

I t was last light give or take a few minutes and I seen movement. Put the scope on it and I still don;t know what the hell it was. It started moving again and went up this small incline like a bear and a nice sized one at that but the arms and legs were to long. Susquatch was all that came to mind. I still don' t know what I saw
but I can tell you I never want to witness that ever again as you got to walk out in the dark don' t you?.......
Old 11-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

topbuck you never heard of the dying quiver
Old 11-28-2003, 06:09 PM

If those white turkeys are that rare, then I have quite a flock on our land. There are at least 6 white ones in the group. I have a strong feeling that a tame white turkey escaped from someone' s barnyard and has joined the flock, Will be watching this spring to see if any new white ones emerge. A friend has been after one that seems to be a gobbler for 3 years now.

Russ
Old 11-28-2003, 08:07 PM

The year we put out the old doe archery target sprayed it with
The pee of a doe our group shot and watched a good sized buck try to mount it.
It took over an hour before he stopped then he would walk away a little & look back then do this again and again.
Then he ran over the hill I don' t know how he did' t hear 6 of us laughing so hard we were almost on the floor.
Ps; know body thought to get a cam. for pics.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not as wierd as some of these stories, but I thought it was kind of cool... Second time out with my bow this year, a red squirrel was making quite a racket about 20 yards from my stand. I was watching the squirrel as a hawk swooped down to grab it. The squirrel just happened to move between two trees very close together and the hawk veered off and landed about 10 yards from me in a tree, just about as high as I was. I was now watching this hawk as about 8-10 blue jays came along screeching their heads off, and they ran the hawk off.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeah... this

Old 11-29-2003, 10:40 AM

I had a doe about 25 yds. from me and I shot her with my 30-06 she jumped about 4' off the ground and ran like a bat outta hell into a tree and fell dead. I never seen or heard of this ever happening, and then the next day my cousin shot a doe in the same area and the same thing ran into a tree dead.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:33 AM

The first of many that comes to mind is the time my buddy and I were spring turkey hunting . We were sitting back to back with a big old hemlock tree between us. If I looked all the way back to my right I could see the end of his shotgun barrel protruding from the side of the tree, as he had it cradled across his lap. Well I got to calling, ' cause he couldn' t use a mouthcall, and when I let out a series of purrs and clucks and then paused, I could hear a hissing sound coming from his side of the tree. We had been out partying pretty hardy the night before and I knew he always got goofy when he was hung over. He' d laugh at anything, and try to get me to laugh at the stupid crap he was laughing at. Well, anyway, I turned slowly to my right and there, on the end of his shotgun barrel, was a bluejay, and it was pecking at the inside rim of the shotgun and poking it' s face into the barrel itself! I could see the barrel move every time I heard the hissing, and realized that he was laughing and fighting to control the spasms. Well, I should have known what he was going to do, but was caught completely off guard when the shotgun discharged and the bluejay dropped to the ground on its' back in the leaves, totally headless! Well, that wasn' t the weird part! That bird actually rolled back onto its' feet and started hopping out across the forest floor, headless, no less, and covered about thirty yards before tipping over on its side and expiring! My buddy laughed so hard he threw up, and I just sat there in stunned silence for about 5 minutes! I' ve never seen anything that vile before or since then, and I' ve been in on more than one chicken butchering![X(]

Quick Reply: What' s the weirdest thing you have ever seen while hunting in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.