Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What kind of weather scares you while hunting? >

What kind of weather scares you while hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What kind of weather scares you while hunting?

Old 11-26-2003, 06:29 AM

Default What kind of weather scares you while hunting?

Greeting fellow hunters,

Another question for my book project, what kind weather makes you think about going into the woods? I have hunted in blizzards and heavy snow, I have been turned around in heavy snow, and almost hit by lightening, tell me what scares you, and why?

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 11-26-2003, 06:37 AM

Default RE: What kind of weather scares you while hunting?

Lightning. . . .Wind and cold you can deal with and protect against.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:23 AM

i' ll tell you what, south dakota winters suck as far as the high winds and white out conditions but i' ll tell you the scariest expereince i' ve ever had. imagine sitting in the woods on a nice calm day, birds chirping, squirrels running everywhere digging through the snow collecting acorns. it was just a beautiful morning. the sun went behind some winter clouds and everything just got quiet. nothing in sight. i heard a rumbling from about 50 yards away, it came closer and closer and wam.....there it was, the most horrific wind storm i' ve ever seen. trees, were falling all around, leaves were flying through the air horizonally, luckily i chose to sit infront of a huge oak tree because the wind came right at me and pressed my back against that tree. a nice size tree fell right beside me. i don' t usually smoke when i hunt, but i definately needed a cigarette after than one. definately WIND STORMS!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 07:59 AM

Lightning. Wind might keep me out of the tree but I' ll still hunt. But when the lightning gets close, I' m taking the rest of the day off.

Greg
Old 11-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Really high winds, especially around old oaks with the limbs breaking off.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

First and foremost, it would probably lightning. Second, it would be extreme cold.

{look, don' t call me a wuss, or " fairweather hunter" ... }[&:]

I went goose hunting last season with a couple guys I know. We were laying out in a farmers field - and this is here in Virginia, folks... - and there was 6 inches of snow on the ground and it was 18 degrees. I mean, c' mon... I have been chilly before. I have been cold before. But I have NEVER been cold like I was that morning! [] Yes, I dressed for the weather. I had layers of clothing underneath my insulated, quilted, Advantage Timber coveralls. It didn' t matter. That cold wind and snow found its way right through, and I totally FROZE MY A$$ OFF!!!!

Butch
Old 11-26-2003, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

It' s a pretty rare occurance that it lightenings during hunting seasons, so I don' t typically have to worry about that, otherwise that' d be the only thing that I wouldn' t hunt in, deer look for cover in storms, so if you play your cards right, they' re pretty inattentive. If things happen that I' d have to seek cover myself, I' m pretty good about that, and I always have a survival kit that one could actually survive on.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

North Dakota. High winds and blowing snow. Zero visibility total white out. -30to -40 degrees.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:44 AM

Sleet and Freezing rain, You doint want to be in the woods when the weight on those tree limbs and the trees themselves begin cracking and crashing all over the place. It does sound like someones shooting. Take Shelter Immediately.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:56 AM

Dr. Mike,

I replied on the BigGame Hunting thread.

Quick Reply: What kind of weather scares you while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.