Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoulder or Double lung

Old 11-25-2003, 07:27 AM

Default RE: Shoulder or Double lung

Trophyhunter- a friend of mine just shot a buck this weekend. Hit him in the high lungs to start with. The buck stoped and he shot him in the neck. Down he went. Then when the hunter was getting out of the stand the buck got up and ran away only to drop on the neighbors land! They taged him and drug him away. He was using berneke slugs too.

That brings me to my point. In the past I hunted 350 private acres. All of our hunting party honored the " killing shot" gets the buck. So I use to shoot a 243win. Never lost a deer that I hit with it, but they would usually run 40 - 100 yards. Not a problem when you' re on private land with your hunting buds or family.

Now I hunt about 80 yards from the border of two properties. I' m not pressing the line but a deer could, if hit in the lungs, run 100 yards and then expire on the neighbors land. I' m not willing to take the chance any more so I moved up to my 50cal TC Encore muzzleloder. This year some dink sat on the property line only 100 yards from me. So I knew that I couldn' t let a buck go 10 feet much less 100 yards. When the buck (see the picture) came in I knew that I had to anchor him right there. He gave me a quartering tward me shot and I aimed for the inside of his shoulder. He folded on the spot, didn' t even twich. I think I will continue to hunt with my Encore and put the cross hairs on the shoulder.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:40 AM

If you shoot a deer in the shoulder your going to get a double lung also.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:47 AM

Shoulder shot!-- wrks great
Old 11-25-2003, 08:51 AM

If I really need a buck to fall where he is at I will take out both front shoulders. No wheels = no movement. You will still likely get some heart or lungs too.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Double lung would be my choice. I use a .30-06, so either way the deer would get hit pretty hard.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:59 AM

Heart shot. Unless it is a doe eating at my bait pile, then I go for a head shot. When I hit her, she drops, no suffering no meat wasted, and no tracking!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:18 AM

Guys I understand you might think a neck shot is a low percent shot are you kidding. Look at the original post broadside at 75 yards, if you cant hit a 1 inch target with a high power rifle and scope at 75 yards you cant shoot thats my two cents. Two many people out there shoot overkill rifles because all they have to do is hit the deer and it will die. Understand i know different size deer from different regions. Up to 200 yards i can take my remington 700 sendero 270 and hit a quarter, im no great shot but i practice and shoot alot, to hit a deer at 75 yards broadside in the middle of the neck with a 270 is not hard at all and the deer will not take a step guaranteed. Were not talking like a long shot ,look at the original question.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the deer. If he' s a big buck and I can' t afford to have him go anywhere I' m taking out the shoulder, reloading, and staying put ready to throw another one in him if he gets up. If it is a doe for meat, a double lung works great.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Trophyhuntr I would love to see you take an off hand shot at 75 yards at a living breathing deer let alone mature buck and hit a 1 inch spot. Also 200 yards and hit a quater, maybe off a bench you are only kidding your self with a statement like that. I don' t care how good a person shoots off a bench and sand bag let me see you shoot 200 yards and hit a quater, it isn' t happening.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have killed one deer with a neck shot and will never do it again! Yep knocked her flat, she never even kicked, finger sized entrance and fist sized exit, ruined the right side neck roast. Oh did I mention it didn' t kill her? Well it didn' t, don' t ask me how, but it didn' t, shattered the vertabrae and she was still alive, I put another one in her ear to finish her off.

I have killed, dressed and butchered a ton of deer and as a result I know thier anatomy inside and out, shoot one in the " center" of the neck" is a low percentage shot, remember we are not shooting at a stationary target from a bench, we are shooting at a living moving animal that at the instant the shot goes off could take a step forward or turn their head, in this case the best outcome is a clean miss, the worst case is a wounded deer!

Okay off the soap box now, if I am way back in there by myself and do not want to drag the deer out any further than neccessary I will take out both shoulders, if I have some one to help with the dragging or it is not that far to the truck it is double lung all the way, the results with a 30 caliber or 12 gauge slug is devestating and half the time will drop them in there tracks.

Quick Reply: Shoulder or Double lung

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.