Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What was your first deer rifle? >

What was your first deer rifle?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What was your first deer rifle?

Old 11-24-2003, 02:41 PM

Default What was your first deer rifle?

I am still working on my book project and have lots of questions only my friends on hunting.net can answer.

How many of you can remember your first deer rifle, and the first deer you took with it? I am looking for stories that share first experiences in the woods. Where were you?, what kind of weather did you hunt in? Was your dad with you, grandpa, brother, mother, aunt, I would like to hear about your first experience hunting deer.

My story was I hunted with a 7.62 Russian dated 1917, I was a freshman in college back in Wisconsin, and shot my first deer in a blizzard, I was so proud to call my dad back in Chicagol and tell him I got a buck, he was very proud.

I appreciate all the help I can get from everyone, thanks..

Dr. Mike
Old 11-24-2003, 03:10 PM

Default RE: What was your first deer rifle?

My first rifle I ever had was Browning A-bolt medallion 270. The first day I hunted we seen a few does off in the distance nothing close enough. The next morning my dad shot a real nice 10pt scoring in that 140 class and I can remember it was dark enough to see the fire come out of the barrel before the sound. Later that second day I sat in a stand with my brother heavily wooded. I had only sat for about an hour and a small 7 point came by and I took my first shot at a deer and got my first deer right behind the shoulder. I can remeber it being cold and lots of snow here in central Minnesota ideal for deer hunting. I know I will never for get it.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:25 PM

my first rifle was the same one I have now(or my wife has now) a Rem.742 in 243 cal.32 years ago.my first buck was a 7 pt. taken at about 70 to 75 yards.my wife was with me.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Winchester Model 94 in 30-30. I passed it on to my son this year.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:27 PM

I used a 30-30 my first year, when I was 12. I then bought a 25-06. I will never sell it, and probably wont buy another gun. Now bows... I will probably buy quite a few.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:06 PM

My first deer rifle was a brand new 700ADL 30/06 with a lil 3x9x32 Tasco uptop. It was one of those " long skinny boxes" wrapped up under the Christmas tree that I knew what it was but didnt know EXACTLY what it was. That was Christmas 1984 when I was 13. I was the " BIG DOG" after Christmas at school that year while all the other boys had gotten 243s and 30/30s I had a REAL gun that actually kicked at both ends!!!

The first time I pulled the trigger on it was in November ' 85 on a 10 pt in Missouri (120incher that seemed HUGE at the time lol). I remember putting the crosshairs on " brown" and pulling the trigger. 6 shots later (yep had to climb down and chase after him with a followup shot) I had one shotup trophy and the start of a lifelong passion/obsession, as well as a trophy that took me several years to top! I was at my step-father' s ranch in MO and it was he who first took me deerhunting with him the year before. He was just around the corner from me when I shot the 10ptr and came down to see what all the shooting was for. We hung and dressed the buck in the very tree that I killed him from.

What a NASTY habit/addiction that spawned!
RA
Old 11-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was 12 when I got my first deer rifle. It was a 1917 Eddystone Military 30-06. Not sporterized it was just like the army got them. A surplus store in Rapid City SD was selling them for $17.50. I got a nice four point mule deer with it the first year. 1954. My dad was working as usuall. I never hunted a day in my life with my dad. He was always to busy farming to go hunting. However my Grandpa and several uncles and older cousins alway ask me to go hunting with them. I used that old rifle for 15 years then it just kind of wore out. I have had to many deer rifles to count since then. From 222-416 Rem mag.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first rifle was actually very old double barrel shotgun. It shot 00 buckshot very well. 3 years later I upgraded to a 30.06 Remington.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remmington .300 savage AKA " Laser gun" !
Old 11-24-2003, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I am 22 and I first hunted deer at 16 with a Remington 700 BDL 30-06. My father gave it to me when I was 16. He bought it in 1976 and it is still in great condition. My first year with it I shot a doe and a six pionter (my biggest buck to date).

Quick Reply: What was your first deer rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.