Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My son bagged his first deer

Old 11-24-2003, 11:53 AM

Default My son bagged his first deer

My 13 year old got his first deer on Saturday morning. The best part of all of it was I got to witness the whole thing! It wasn' t the biggest deer by far - only a nubbin buck - but it was a monster to him.

He has been hunting with me now for 2 years and he hadn' t had much luck. On Saturday, this young deer was busting through the woods because other hunters were leaving. I saw the deer and yelled for the deer to stop. It looked at me and my son, who was only 30 yards away, calmly raised his gun and nailed it. The deer dropped like a bag of wet cement.

While we were admiring his deer and shot he asked: " Dad, if a trophy deer had come through the woods would you have shot it?" (Since I have yet to get a wallhanger) I told him that my trophy deer was the one laying on the ground. I couldn' t be happier for him.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:58 AM

Default RE: My son bagged his first deer

Good job guys.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:13 PM

Good for you guys. [8D]

Who was more pumped you or your son? I know the feelings you are having and aren' t they the greatest? My son got his first deer on Saturday also. Also a button buck. My buddy and his son pushed it to my son and me and I saw the whole thing. Had to fight back the tears. My guys first words to me were, " a button buck just like your first deer was." Actually, his forst words were Oh Yeah! Hope you enjoy every memory you made on Saturday. Lets ride this wave for a while!!

Greg
Old 11-24-2003, 12:20 PM

Greg - Congrats to your son as well! It took me hours (it seemed like) to get down from my climber after he shot it. What I couldn' t believe was how calm he was. He stood up from his tree seat and shot. When I got there (finally) I asked him if the shakes had started. He said " yeah - when do they stop?" I told him hopefully never!

I didn' t get a deer the first season but honestly, I didn' t care. I am just happy he got his first. I' m sure there were a lot of high fives at your camp as well. Please give my congrats to your son.

Bob
Old 11-24-2003, 12:21 PM

Yes I couldn' t be happier for you it always good to hear that thier are dads that take thier sons hunting. What I feeling, I to had I son that harvested his first this year...wasn' t a huge deer wasn' t a buck, but his first and thats always special... Time in the woods together is where it' s at if you ask me......I just which I was 12 or 13 when I got to shoot my first deer.....I wait several years later.... Howbout some pic' s of that awsome deer???
Old 11-24-2003, 12:26 PM

We were standing together at the time. My son is only 10 and I' m not ready, although he is responsible, to seperate from him for this year. Nice job and post a pic if you can!

All the best!!
Greg
Old 11-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations to your son! I' m glad to hear you had such a great experience together.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:42 PM

Thanks guys. As soon as I get the pictures back I will get them posted. My son was only about 80 yards away from me. He thinks I still baby him but I didn' t feel comfortable leaving him by himself since we are now hunting public land. I was up in my climber and he was down on the ground in a tree seat. I had a perfect bird' s eye view of the entire event.

I appreciate all of your kinds words. He' ll love seeing this post about him and his success tonight. Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:55 PM

Witnessing the harvesting of somebody' s first deer, especially your son' s, must be one of the most exciting things to see as a hunter. I think that it reminds us of our first deer and brings back all of those memories. It' s really special that you' re able to share such a great experience with your son.

My first child won' t be born until March, but what you' ve experienced with your son is something that I truly look forward to! Good job to both of you.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats........very cool......

Quick Reply: My son bagged his first deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.