Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 If deer smell so good...why even use a cover scent? >

If deer smell so good...why even use a cover scent?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If deer smell so good...why even use a cover scent?

Old 11-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default If deer smell so good...why even use a cover scent?

OK, Ill admit as someone from the " Old School" I have used cover scents at time. BUT, I read this question in a post a while back and it got me thinking...I have read that the deer' s scense of smell is legendary and uncomprehensible to man and we cannot ever imagine how good it really is. If we smell the stew cooking, the deer can smell the carrots, potatoes, celery, meat, the gravy and everything else that goes into that pot. Well if that is the case, and we go inot the woods wearing cover scent, can' t the deer smell me and my cover scent....The deer must say.. Oh, there' s goes Jimmy, I can smell some of his gun oil, his sweaty socks, his coffee breath and his fox urine cover scent. And I do believe that. So what am I missing? Can we really fool a deer' s strongest scent by putting a little cover scent on out nasty human body!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:15 AM

Default RE: If deer smell so good...why even use a cover scent?

to make a long answer short, NO, Especially if the deer is down wind, but it can help a little
Old 11-24-2003, 11:28 AM

Reducing/covering your scent to the point that it doesnt spook the deer is the key.
If a deer is downwind of you he will smell you. To what extent depends on alot of things. I use cover scents alot and firmly believe in them. I have had deer directly downwind of me doing their best to get a good wiff of me but the reduced scent and cover scent hid me just enough to keep them from spooking. Cover scents do work but you have to have clean hunting clothes and a clean body to add to it.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:58 PM

i don' t know what cover scent you' re actually refering to but i tell you what does help (in my eyes anyways), i wash my clothes in H.S.scents " SCENT-A-WAY" laundry detergent and also use the soap. my father lauphed at me the first time i used and i tell you what, i see so many more deer and also get a lot closer to them than ever before. i' ve made a believer out of my dad. it also doesn' t contain any uv brighteners like other laundry detergents have, reducing the chance of a deer seeing you. i' ve been using it the last two years, this will be the third, and i swear by it!!
Old 11-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

JimmyS,
I don' t waste my money on cover scents. I agree with your premise that no amount of scent will cover our odor...even with the fancy suits. Hunt the wind.
Steve
Old 11-24-2003, 06:33 PM

Normal cleanliness, sure unscented deodorant....

and hunt the wind.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:45 AM

I' ve never used cover scents until this year, and I haven' t seen any difference in deer. I' ve also sprayed my boots with Carbon Blast cover scent. Not sure if this worked or not.

I' m going back to not using cover scents and saving my money for something else.

Used cover scent during muzzleloading and didn' t see much (a few doe).

Got 2 deer the first week of rifle season and didn' t use cover scent at all.

Thunder
Old 11-25-2003, 03:24 AM

I never used them.. I just let my hunting close hang outside to let them air out. Always hunt the wind.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never fully avoid the nose, but yes they do help tremendously. Like others have said it' s the whole package: socks, boots, head, underarms, clothes, etc.....I' ve had some close deer downwind of me during bowseason. Besides.... even if you' re not convinced that it works, it surely won' t hurt.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:23 AM

I think everyone will agree with this, Use the real think, if you or friend kills a doe goet the bladder, kill a buck get the tarsal or go to nearest processor and cut one off. Go with the real smell of a deer there is no substitute and it works the best, my 2cents

Quick Reply: If deer smell so good...why even use a cover scent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.