Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Running deer.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:51 PM

Default RE: Shooting Running deer.

more deer have been killed with a 30-30 than any other gun.. it may not get there as fast as the 300 but it will take em down...I have not taken a shot at a running deer yet.. I dont practice enough to feel comfortable shooting at them.. knowing that Im only going to wound them in the process instead of making a killing shot deters me..
Old 11-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

I got my first deer with a full speed running shot as mike said, picked a
spot and squeezed when the deer entered. 2 years later I missed one with the
same method, I dont think I`ll take any more running shots, not that I
dont think I can make the shot, but that Its too much of a low percentage
shot for me.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:06 PM

DON' T

Most people think they can shoot running deer, and end up blowing their legs off and wounding them.

If the deer are running, then the drivers are pushing too hard. Slow them down. The deer should be walking by you.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:09 PM

DO~~~

do practice, with practice a running shot can be just as deadly i have shot over 30 deer since starting hunting i have no exact numbers but probably atleast 25% have been running and the only deer ive wounded and had to track and shoot again was standing still for the first shot but flat moving when i jumped it 2 hrs later. That is my second point if you can practice running shots, we hunt jackrabbits and coyotes in the off season, it may come in handy when there is a wounded deer running off. So even if you wont usually take a running shot its nice to know you can do it if the situation arrises.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have taken four deer (one shot kills) with an open sighted 30/30. Swing like your shooting birds and extend your lead as the distance extends. More than 75 yds is pushing it though.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Secure some cardboard inside a tire and roll the tire down a hill, shoot away and then cry when you attempt to count the hits. In time you will start to hit the target, then change positions/angles and speeds of the tire, then shoot away. Also you can stop a running deer by whistling at it but be prepared for it to stop behind cover, cover that you didn' t think could hide the vitals.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:56 AM

here' s a good tip, put the scope out in front of them when the nose crosses the cross hairs in the scope pull the trigger, but obviosly aim a little lower always a good distance in leading deer running
Old 11-19-2003, 10:32 AM

I don' t like using a scoped gun for jump shooting and drives. The 30-30 is a good choice.

I' d practice wingshooting quite a bit before going. That' ll help you get your swing and speed down. I like the tip above about the tire.

Hitting running deer takes practice, lots of practice. I' d opt for trying to stop or slow them down. Give a good whistle or shout, and they' ll usually hold up for a few seconds.

Tabby made a good point about the speed of the drive. If they' re running, your pushing them to fast. Slow down.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

running deer? should be fine within 150 yards?? different world than me. I would say how many opportunities do you practice that shot on the range? shoot when he' s coming down?? strange. Oh well I' ll stick to my gameplan.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:02 AM

Just BE CAREFUL. Following a running deer w/ your gun, you might lose track of where other hunters are. Especially on a drive!!!

Quick Reply: Shooting Running deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.